Collective transport for active matter run-and-tumble disk systems on a traveling-wave substrate [electronic resource].
- Washington, D.C. : United States. National Nuclear Security Administration, 2017. and Oak Ridge, Tenn. : Distributed by the Office of Scientific and Technical Information, U.S. Dept. of Energy
- Physical Description:
- 012,607 : digital, PDF file
- Additional Creators:
- Los Alamos National Laboratory, United States. National Nuclear Security Administration, and United States. Department of Energy. Office of Scientific and Technical Information
- Restrictions on Access:
- Free-to-read Unrestricted online access
- Here, we examine numerically the transport of an assembly of active run-and-tumble disks interacting with a traveling-wave substrate. We show that as a function of substrate strength, wave speed, disk activity, and disk density, a variety of dynamical phases arise that are correlated with the structure and net flux of disks. We find that there is a sharp transition into a state in which the disks are only partially coupled to the substrate and form a phase-separated cluster state. This transition is associated with a drop in the net disk flux, and it can occur as a function of the substrate speed, maximum substrate force, disk run time, and disk density. Since variation of the disk activity parameters produces different disk drift rates for a fixed traveling-wave speed on the substrate, the system we consider could be used as an efficient method for active matter species separation. Within the cluster phase, we find that in some regimes the motion of the cluster center of mass is in the opposite direction to that of the traveling wave, while when the maximum substrate force is increased, the cluster drifts in the direction of the traveling wave. This suggests that swarming or clustering motion can serve as a method by which an active system can collectively move against an external drift.
- Published through SciTech Connect., 01/17/2017., "la-ur-16-28317", Physical Review E 95 1 ISSN 2470-0045; PLEEE8 AM, and Csand Sándor; Andras Libál; Charles Reichhardt; Cynthia Jane Olson Reichhardt.
- Funding Information:
View MARC record | catkey: 24055661