A 7.2 keV spherical x-ray crystal backlighter for two-frame, two-color backlighting at Sandia’s Z Pulsed Power Facility [electronic resource].
- Washington, D.C. : United States. National Nuclear Security Administration, 2017.
Oak Ridge, Tenn. : Distributed by the Office of Scientific and Technical Information, U.S. Dept. of Energy
- Physical Description:
- Article numbers 103,503 : digital, PDF file
- Additional Creators:
- Sandia National Laboratories, United States. National Nuclear Security Administration, and United States. Department of Energy. Office of Scientific and Technical Information
- Restrictions on Access:
- Free-to-read Unrestricted online access
- Many experiments on Sandia National Laboratories’ Z Pulsed Power Facility—a 30 MA, 100 ns rise-time, pulsed-power driver—use a monochromatic quartz crystal backlighter system at 1.865 keV (Si Heα) or 6.151 keV (Mn Heα) x-ray energy to radiograph an imploding liner (cylindrical tube) or wire array z-pinch. The x-ray source is generated by the Z-Beamlet laser, which provides two 527-nm, 1 kJ, 1-ns laser pulses. Radiographs of imploding, thick-walled beryllium liners at convergence ratios CR above 15 [CR=ri(0)/ri(t)] using the 6.151-keV backlighter system were too opaque to identify the inner radius ri of the liner with high confidence, demonstrating the need for a higher-energy x-ray radiography system. Here, we present a 7.242 keV backlighter system using a Ge(335) spherical crystal with the Co Heα resonance line. This system operates at a similar Bragg angle as the existing 1.865 keV and 6.151 keV backlighters, enhancing our capabilities for two-color, two-frame radiography without modifying the system integration at Z. The first data taken at Z include 6.2-keV and 7.2-keV two-color radiographs as well as radiographs of low-convergence (CR about 4-5), high-areal-density liner implosions.
- Report Numbers:
- E 1.99:sand--2018-4422j
- Published through SciTech Connect.
Review of Scientific Instruments 88 10 ISSN 0034-6748 AM
M. S. Schollmeier; P. F. Knapp; D. J. Ampleford; E. C. Harding; C. A. Jennings; D. C. Lamppa; G. P. Loisel; M. R. Martin; G. K. Robertson; J. E. Shores; I. C. Smith; C. S. Speas; M. R. Weis; J. L. Porter; R. D. McBride.
- Funding Information:
View MARC record | catkey: 24055792