A pH-responsive supramolecular polymer gel as an enteric elastomer for use in gastric devices [electronic resource].
- Washington, D.C. : United States. Dept. of Energy. Office of Basic Energy Sciences, 2015. and Oak Ridge, Tenn. : Distributed by the Office of Scientific and Technical Information, U.S. Dept. of Energy
- Physical Description:
- pages 1,065-1,071 : digital, PDF file
- Additional Creators:
- Oak Ridge National Laboratory, United States. Department of Energy. Office of Basic Energy Sciences, and United States. Department of Energy. Office of Scientific and Technical Information
- Restrictions on Access:
- Free-to-read Unrestricted online access
- Devices resident in the stomach used for a variety of clinical applications including nutritional modulation for bariatrics, ingestible electronics for diagnosis and monitoring, and gastric-retentive dosage forms for prolonged drug delivery typically incorporate elastic polymers to compress the devices during delivery through the oesophagus and other narrow orifices in the digestive system. In the event of accidental device fracture or migration, the non-degradable nature of these materials risks intestinal obstruction. Here, we show that an elastic, pH-responsive supramolecular gel remains stable and elastic in the acidic environment of the stomach but can be dissolved in the neutral-pH environment of the small and large intestines. In a large animal model, prototype devices with these materials as the key component demonstrated prolonged gastric retention and safe passage. We determine that these enteric elastomers should increase the safety profile for a wide range of gastricretentive devices.
- Published through SciTech Connect., 07/27/2015., "KC0403040", "ERKCZ01", Nature Materials 14 10 ISSN 1476-1122 AM, and Shiyi Zhang; Andrew M. Bellinger; Dean L. Glettig; Ross Barman; Young-Ah Lucy Lee; Jiahua Zhu; Cody Cleveland; Veronica A. Montgomery; Li Gu; Landon D. Nash; Duncan J. Maitland; Robert Langer; Giovanni Traverso.
- Funding Information:
View MARC record | catkey: 24066216