Ordering of lamellar block copolymers on oxidized silane coatings [electronic resource].
- Arlington, Va. : National Science Foundation (U.S.), 2016. and Oak Ridge, Tenn. : Distributed by the Office of Scientific and Technical Information, U.S. Dept. of Energy
- Physical Description:
- pages 495-503 : digital, PDF file
- Additional Creators:
- Argonne National Laboratory, National Science Foundation (U.S.), United States. Department of Energy. Office of Science, and United States. Department of Energy. Office of Scientific and Technical Information
- Restrictions on Access:
- Free-to-read Unrestricted online access
- Thin films of lamellar poly(styrene-b-methyl methacrylate) (PS-PMMA) block copolymers are widely investigated for surface patterning. These materials can generate dense arrays of nanoscale lines when the lamellar domains are oriented perpendicular to the substrate. To stabilize this preferred domain orientation, we tuned the substrate surface energy using oxidation of hydrophobic silane coatings. This simple approach is effective for a broad range of PS-PMMA film thicknesses when the oxidation time is optimized, which demonstrates that the substrate coating is energetically neutral with respect to PS and PMMA segments. The lamellar films are characterized by high densities of defects that exhibit a strong dependence on film thickness: in-plane topological defects disrupt the lateral order in ultrathin films, while lamellar domains in thick films can bend and tilt to large misorientation angles. As a result, the types and densities of these defects are similar to those observed with other classes of neutral substrate coatings, such as random copolymer brushes, which demonstrates that oxidized silanes can be used to control PS-PMMA self assembly in thin films.
- Published through SciTech Connect., 01/02/2016., "124782", European Polymer Journal 75 C ISSN 0014-3057 AM, and Nikhila Mahadevapuram; Indranil Mitra; Shyam Sridhar; Joseph Strzalka; Gila E. Stein.
- Funding Information:
View MARC record | catkey: 24087276