Performed ethnography and communication : improvisation and embodied experience / D. Soyini Madison
- Madison, D. Soyini
- Abingon, Oxon ; New York, NY : Routledge, an imprint of the Taylor & Francis Group, 2018.
- Copyright Date:
- Physical Description:
- xxxi, 202 pages : illustrations ; 24 cm
- Part 1 : Embodied technique and practice. Embodied technique and practice ; Improvisation ; Devised theatre ; Movement and scenes of body work -- Part 2 : Oral history and personal narrative performance. The value of oral history and life story ; The narrative/narrated event and the anatomy of emotion ; Anatomy of emotion : the brain in performance ; Performing oral history and life stories ; Viewpoints in rehearsal ; Jerzy Grotowski's plastiques and Viola Spolin's speech and sound.
- Performed Ethnography and Communication explores the relationships between these three key terms, addressing the impact of ethnography and communication on the cutting edge of performance studies. Ranging from digital performance, improvisation and the body, to fieldwork and staged collaboration, this volume is divided into two main sections: "Embodied technique and practice, " which addresses improvisation, devised theatre-making, and body work to consider what makes bodies move, sound, behave, mean, or appear differently, and the effects of these differences on performance. "Oral history and personal narrative performance, " which is concerned with the ways personal stories and histories might be transformed into public events, looking at questions of perspective, ownership, and reception. Including specific historical and theoretical case studies, exercises, and activities, and practical applications for improvisation, ethnography, and devised and digital performance, Performed Ethnography and Communication represents an invaluable resource for today's student of performance studies, communication studies or cultural studies.
- 9781138789012 (hardcover), 1138789011 (hardcover), 9781138789029 (paperback), and 113878902X (paperback)
- Bibliography Note:
- Includes bibliographical references (pages 185-195) and index.
View MARC record | catkey: 24097567