Visits of US Senators and Congressmen to the UK (1973).
- Marlborough, Wiltshire : Adam Matthew Digital, 2008.
- Physical Description:
- 1 online resource
- Additional Creators:
- Adam Matthew Digital (Firm)
- Description: Visit by Senator J. William Fulbright and Congressman Hayes to the UK to attend the Commonwealth Parliamentary Association meeting. Biography of Fulbright and interview of Fulbright by Michio Nagai, Editorial Writer of the Asahi Shimbun on the maintenance of American troops in Germany and in Europe and the Senator's desire for the withdrawal of US conventional forces from Europe and other overseas commitments. Discussion on Nuclear compensation for Western Europe in the wake of US forces withdrawal from Europe. Report on Radio Free Europe/Radio Liberty and its funding. Report on the Fulbright Scholarship scheme and its 25 anniversary celebrations. Report of visit to UK of Senator Mansfield. Visit of US Congressman Peter Frelinghuysen to the UK to attend the Ariel Foundation meeting on the Middle East. Frelinghuysen is a Republican member of the European sub-Committee of the House of Representatives committee on Foreign Affairs. Visits of Senators McGovern and James Buckley to the UK. A biography of Buckley is included. Buckley met with Sir Thomas Brimelow and made it clear he was concerned there should be no run-down of American commitment to the defence of Europe and no false illusions about the likely success of CSCE and MBFR. Buckley also professed worries about SALT regarding pressure in Congress to reduce R & D expenditure in critical areas.
- AMDigital Reference: FCO 82/290.
- Original Version:
- Reproduction of: Visits of US Senators and Congressmen to the UK (1973) 1973.
- Location of Originals:
- The National Archives
- Copyright Note:
- Crown Copyright documents © are reproduced by permission of The National Archives London, UK
View MARC record | catkey: 24099017