Visit of Prime Minister Edward Heath to Washington, 1-2 February; record of meetings held (1973).
- Marlborough, Wiltshire : Adam Matthew Digital, 2008.
- Physical Description:
- 1 online resource
- Additional Creators:
- Adam Matthew Digital (Firm)
- Description: Extract from speech by Prime Minister Edward Heath at the National Press Club, Washington, DC in which he talks about the leaders of the 9 Community countries meeting Paris to discuss their future in Europe. The Nine had decided to maintain a constructive dialogue with the US, Japan, Canada and their other industrialised trade partners. Comments on the official visit to Washington of the Prime minister . Nixon displayed publicly his appreciation of the UK government support through a difficult period for the US. The Prime Minister said that they would always take account of American thing but would be bound by the Community's decisions. The Prime Minister had discussions with Edward Kennedy over the Northern Ireland question and the IRA. Parliamentary questions on concerns about shortages in the field of energy production and President Nixon's approach. The Prime Minister had talks with President Nixon on the peace agreements with North Vietnam, SALT and the European Security Conference and related questions of European defence, the next round of multilateral trade negotiations and questions of international monetary reform, the Soviet Government's achievement of nuclear parity with the US and the growing public support for detente. Unilateral cease fire declared by Lon Nol in Cambodia. Discussions of 1 February 1973 between William P Rogers and Sir Alec Douglas-Home covering Vietnam, Laos, Cambodia and Paris Peace negotiations. Possible role for the UN. Talks also cover EEC, tariffs, and trade balances, Iceland and the Middle East. Sir Denis Greenhill (FCO) makes a number of comments and asks various questions. Exchange of remarks between Nixon and Heath on the South Lawn of the White House, February 1973. US contributions to the International Development Association of the World Bank. Eberle's trade talks with Japan.
- AMDigital Reference: FCO 82/301.
- Original Version:
- Reproduction of: Visit of Prime Minister Edward Heath to Washington, 1-2 February; record of meetings held (1973) 1973.
- Location of Originals:
- The National Archives
- Copyright Note:
- Crown Copyright documents © are reproduced by permission of The National Archives London, UK
View MARC record | catkey: 24099059