Dacca: Consultations of Provincial Council of Revenue, 9 December 1773 to 29 December 1774 : Consultations 1773/12/09-1774/12/29.
- Marlborough, Wiltshire : Adam Matthew Digital, 2018.
- Physical Description:
- 1 online resource
- Additional Creators:
- Adam Matthew Digital (Firm)
- Description: IOR/G/15: Factory Records: Dacca, 1678-1778. Diary and consultations, 1678-1691; consultations, 1736-1748; Provincial Council of Revenue consultations, 1773-1778; consultations, 1778-1779. 21 volumes.Origin: In the mid-seventeenth century, the Company extended its activities into the Bay of Bengal. Dacca was one of the factories it established, in or around 1666. The town, situated on the north bank of the Buriganga River, was famous for its muslins. In 1765 the district became part of the Company's first territorial acquisitions. In 1773 the Government of Bengal adopted a new plan for collecting land revenue. Five revenue divisions were set up, each managed by a Provincial Council of Revenue. One Council was based at Dacca. In 1781 the Provincial Councils were abolished and their powers were transferred to the Committee of Revenue at Calcutta. The muslin trade continued to be important in Dacca until 1785, when the British government imposed a heavy duty on muslins imported to England. As a result, trade in the area began to decline.Related Resources: Balasore, Calcutta and Hugli and Factory Records (IOR/G/2, G/7 and G/20); Home Miscellaneous Original Correspondence Bengal Proceedings (Calcutta Committee of Revenue) (IOR/H/456).
- IOR/G: East India Company Factory Records (1608-1858). A 'factory' was a trading post where a number of merchants, or factors, resided. When company ships arrived at the factories, ships' merchants were thus enabled to exchange goods for trading immediately instead of having to wait to make deals with local merchants. Factories were run by a chief factor and a council of factors. The 'Factory Records' is an artificially-created sub-fonds; the records of individual Company factories consist mainly of consultations (records of administrative decisions and of correspondence), diaries (records of daily activities), letters received, copies of letters sent and collections of papers on particular subjects. and AMDigital Reference: IOR/G/15/7 and IOR/G/15/8.
- Original Version:
- Reproduction of: Dacca: Consultations of Provincial Council of Revenue, 9 December 1773 to 29 December 1774 9 Dec 1773 - 29 Dec 1774.
- Location of Originals:
- The British Library
- Copyright Note:
- The British Library Board
View MARC record | catkey: 24148177