Fort St George: Letter Book of Thomas Lucas while on a mission to Conjevaram, & c, 1683 : Correspondence 1683/07/04-1683/09/08.
- Marlborough, Wiltshire : Adam Matthew Digital, 2018.
- Physical Description:
- 1 online resource
- Additional Creators:
- Adam Matthew Digital (Firm)
- Description: IOR/G/19: Factory Records: Fort St George (Madras). Consultations, 1655-1704; copies of letters despatched, 1661-1674; copies of letters received, 1674-1704. 50 volumes.Origin: In the 1620s the Company extended its activities on the Coromandel coast, then based at Masulipatam, further to the south, because the chintzes it wanted to procure were cheaper in the territories there. A settlement was established at Armagon in 1626 but the site had practical disadvantages. Consequently, when the ruler of the district around Madraspatam invited the Company to establish a factory there, the Company eagerly accepted. Permission was given to fortify the factory and in 1640 the factors of Armagon moved there. The factory was named Fort St George and rapidly grew in importance as a centre for the Company's trading activity in the east. In 1682 it officially replaced Bantam as the headquarters of the eastern trade. In 1746 Madras was captured by the French and the seat of the Madras presidency was moved to Fort St David. Madras was restored to the British in 1748 by the Treaty of Aix-la-Chapelle (Aachen). In 1773 the Government of Madras was placed under the overall control of the Government of Bengal.Related Resources: See also Miscellaneous Factory Records (IOR/G/40/9). The series of consultations continues in the Madras General Proceedings (P). The series of letters despatched and letters received continue in the Correspondence with India series (IOR/E/4).Publications: Under its former name of the Madras Record Office, the Tamil Nadu Archives has published several calendars of its early records: see IOR/V/27/46/5-76 for details; William Foster, The Founding of Fort St George, Madras (London, 1902) describes the history of the settlement.
- Other Subject(s):
- IOR/G: East India Company Factory Records (1608-1858). A 'factory' was a trading post where a number of merchants, or factors, resided. When company ships arrived at the factories, ships' merchants were thus enabled to exchange goods for trading immediately instead of having to wait to make deals with local merchants. Factories were run by a chief factor and a council of factors. The 'Factory Records' is an artificially-created sub-fonds; the records of individual Company factories consist mainly of consultations (records of administrative decisions and of correspondence), diaries (records of daily activities), letters received, copies of letters sent and collections of papers on particular subjects.
AMDigital Reference: IOR/G/19/37.
- Original Version:
- Reproduction of: Fort St George: Letter Book of Thomas Lucas while on a mission to Conjevaram, & c, 1683 4 Jul - 8 Sep 1683.
- Location of Originals:
- The British Library
- Copyright Note:
- The British Library Board
View MARC record | catkey: 24148240