Hugli: Copies of Letters Received at Hugli, Jan to December 1683 : Correspondence 1683/01/01-1683/12/24.
- Marlborough, Wiltshire : Adam Matthew Digital, 2018.
- Physical Description:
- 1 online resource
- Additional Creators:
- Adam Matthew Digital (Firm)
- Description: IOR/G/20: Factory Records: Hugli, 1650-1685. Diaries and consultations, including consultations at Balasore, 1663-1682; letters despatched, 1672-1684; letters received, 1671-1687. 11 volumes.IOR/G/20/7-11is the sub-series Copies of letters received at Hugli, 1671-1687 (5 volumes).Origin: In 1634 a factor from Masulipatam, Mr Norris, travelled into Bengal and obtained the right to trade from the Mogul, Shah Jehan. In 1645 the Company obtained permission to establish a factory at Hugli. The town, at that time the chief port of Bengal, was situated on the Hugli River some way up the Ganges delta. The factory was completed in 1650. In 1685, however, hostilities between the Company and the Emperor Aurangzeb resulted in the temporary expulsion of all Company servants from the Emperor's territories. The factory was abandoned and its agent, Job Charnock, moved his operations downriver to Sutanati.Related Resources: Fort St George Factory Records (IOR/G/19).
- Other Subject(s):
- IOR/G: East India Company Factory Records (1608-1858). A 'factory' was a trading post where a number of merchants, or factors, resided. When company ships arrived at the factories, ships' merchants were thus enabled to exchange goods for trading immediately instead of having to wait to make deals with local merchants. Factories were run by a chief factor and a council of factors. The 'Factory Records' is an artificially-created sub-fonds; the records of individual Company factories consist mainly of consultations (records of administrative decisions and of correspondence), diaries (records of daily activities), letters received, copies of letters sent and collections of papers on particular subjects.
AMDigital Reference: IOR/G/20/9.
- Original Version:
- Reproduction of: Hugli: Copies of Letters Received at Hugli, Jan to December 1683 1 Jan - 24 Dec 1683.
- Location of Originals:
- The British Library
- Copyright Note:
- The British Library Board
View MARC record | catkey: 24148271