Tellicherri: Letters, & c., received by the Company from Tellicherri, 19 Feb 1716 to 23 April 1756 : Correspondence 1716/02/19-1756/04/23.
- Marlborough, Wiltshire : Adam Matthew Digital, 2018.
- Physical Description:
- 1 online resource
- Additional Creators:
- Adam Matthew Digital (Firm)
- Description: IOR/G/37: Factory Records: Tellicherri, 1716-1793. Letters received by the Company from Tellicherri, 1716-1756; diaries and consultations, 1777-1793; political diary and consultations, 1792-1793; correspondence between the select committee at Bombay and the chief factor at Tellicherri, 1781-1784. 12 volumes.Origin: The Governor and Council at Surat established a factory at Tellicherri on the Malabar Coast in 1683, to secure the pepper and cardamom trade of that district. On several occasions between 1708 and 1761 the Company obtained from local chiefs not only grants of land but other important privileges. The factory officially came under the Bombay presidency, although, being nearer to Fort St George, it also had close contact with the Madras administration.Related Resources: Bombay and Fort St George Factory Records (IOR/G/3 and G/19).Publications: The Madras Record Office (now the Tamil Nadu Archives) have published many Tellicherri consultations and letters to and from the settlement: see IOR/V/27/46/144-176 for details.
- IOR/G: East India Company Factory Records (1608-1858). A 'factory' was a trading post where a number of merchants, or factors, resided. When company ships arrived at the factories, ships' merchants were thus enabled to exchange goods for trading immediately instead of having to wait to make deals with local merchants. Factories were run by a chief factor and a council of factors. The 'Factory Records' is an artificially-created sub-fonds; the records of individual Company factories consist mainly of consultations (records of administrative decisions and of correspondence), diaries (records of daily activities), letters received, copies of letters sent and collections of papers on particular subjects. and AMDigital Reference: IOR/G/37/1.
- Original Version:
- Reproduction of: Tellicherri: Letters, & c., received by the Company from Tellicherri, 19 Feb 1716 to 23 April 1756 19 Feb 1716 - 23 Apr 1756.
- Location of Originals:
- The British Library
- Copyright Note:
- The British Library Board
View MARC record | catkey: 24148899