First volume with signatures of the 1,442 subscribers to the £2,000,000 : Legal document; Financial document 1698/07/14-1698/07/16.
- Marlborough, Wiltshire : Adam Matthew Digital, 2017.
- Physical Description:
- 1 online resource
- Additional Creators:
- Adam Matthew Digital (Firm)
- IOR/A/1: Charters of the East India Company with related documents: the 'parchment records' (1600-1947). These consist of legal and other formal documents relating mainly to the rights and privileges of the East India Company (1600-1858). Many are records of key evidential value, being proof of the rights and privileges accorded to the Company by the monarch or by his or her ministers.;Subtitle: 'Subscribers undertake to unite their shares and interests, to be incorporated as a Company and to trade under a joint stock to the East Indies'.After the first Act of Parliament for regulating the trade to the East Indies was passed, effectively putting the Company's monopoly up for auction, the Chancellor of the Exchequer, Lord Montagu, devised an arrangement for the government to borrow £2 million. All those who offered money, whether individuals or corporations, were to be united into a corporation called the General Society and each member of the Society was to be permitted to trade to the East Indies.See also IOR/A/1/53 and IOR/A/1/54 Volume 2.
AMDigital Reference: IOR/A/1/54 Volume 1.
- Original Version:
- Reproduction of: First volume with signatures of the 1,442 subscribers to the £2,000,000 14-16 Jul 1698.
- Location of Originals:
- The British Library
- Copyright Note:
- The British Library Board
View MARC record | catkey: 24149049