Valentine Thomas Dalton's letter to George Rogers Clark discussing his dealings of Bouban and Indians : Correspondence 1780
- Dalton, Valentine Thomas
- Marlborough, Wiltshire : Adam Matthew Digital, 2017.
- Physical Description:
- 1 online resource
- Additional Creators:
- Adam Matthew Digital (Firm)
- Description: ALS Valentine Thomas Dalton, Fort Clark, to George Rogers Clark. Letter nots the apparent peace at Fort Clark, news of two prisoners having been taken from an outpost belonging to the Piankishaw Tribe, and agitation of Indians to join English. The Indian cermeony of presenting war belts is also mentioned (transcript included).
- The George Rogers Clark (1752-1818) Papers span the years 1766 to 1810. They are arranged in chronological order and include receipts, accounts, troop returns, enlistment papers, correspondence and other types of material that focus almost entirely on Clark's military activities during the American Revolution. The receipts and accounts provide information about the supplies and goods used by soldiers during the war. The enlistment papers include the names of several men who served during the war and also document the use of land, rather than money, as enlistment bounty. The troop returns list the number of staff, commissioned and non-commissioned officers, and rank and file for various regiments. These documents, which can be found throughout the three boxes, provide an overview of supplies and personnel. The correspondence provides more detail of military activities in the Illinois country, including descriptions of conditions and affairs at Kaskaskia and Cahokia, Illinois; Vincennes, Indiana (which Clark renamed Fort Patrick Henry); and Detroit. The correspondence also addresses relations with Native Americans in the region. Correspondents include Patrick Henry, Richard McCarty, John Dodge, John Williams, Valentine Thomas Dalton, John Montgomery, and Thomas Jefferson.
AMDigital Reference: A0289.
- Original Version:
- Reproduction of: Valentine Thomas Dalton's letter to George Rogers Clark discussing his dealings of Bouban and Indians 16 May 1780.
- Location of Originals:
- Missouri History Museum
- Copyright Note:
- The Missouri History Museum
View MARC record | catkey: 24155961