Meriwether Lewis Clark's letter o his son, William Hancock Clark, remarking on how William is missed by family : Correspondence 1860
- Clark, Meriwether Lewis, 1809-1881
- Marlborough, Wiltshire : Adam Matthew Digital, 2017.
- Physical Description:
- 1 online resource
- Additional Creators:
- Adam Matthew Digital (Firm)
- Description: ALS Meriwether Lewis Clark, St. Louis, to William Hancock Clark. He misses his son and adds, "old Shot too seemed lost, strolled about with his tail hanging down and his nose to earth as if he was hunting for some lost thing for he seemed to know that you were finally gone.".
- The William Hancock Clark Papers (1860-1903) primarily contain correspondence, but also include some newspapers and a journal. The correspondence is from several members of the Clark family, including Jefferson Kearney Clark, Meriwether Lewis Clark, Samuel Churchill Clark, and John O'Fallon Clark, and regards family news and the Civil War. The papers also include an issue of the Fortnightly Intelligencer from Galle, Isle Ceylon, dated November 30, 1860, with news from China, and an issue of the Straits Times Extra from Singapore, dated August 13, 1861, with an account of the American Civil War. William Hancock Clark's journal, dated February 11-December 10, 1869, regards a European and Mediterranean cruise on the U.S.S. Franklin. William Hancock Clark was born in 1839 and served with the United States Navy during the 1860s, stationed in Hong Kong with the China Squadron. He returned to New York after the Civil War started, but refused to serve with the Union. As a result, he spent two years in a federal prison. Clark's first wife was Eva Beardsley and his second wife was Camilla Gaylord. He died in 1922. and AMDigital Reference: A0289.
- Original Version:
- Reproduction of: Meriwether Lewis Clark's letter o his son, William Hancock Clark, remarking on how William is missed by family 14 May 1860.
- Location of Originals:
- Missouri History Museum
- Copyright Note:
- The Missouri History Museum
View MARC record | catkey: 24156736