Correspondence between David Cobb and others regarding legislation, elections and agriculture : Correspondence; Business and financial document; Diary 1795/01/01-1795/01/15.
- Coxe, Tench
- Marlborough, Wiltshire : Adam Matthew Digital, 2017.
- Physical Description:
- 1 online resource
- Additional Creators:
- Eustis, William, Swift, Foster, Cobb, David, and Adam Matthew Digital (Firm)
- Description: Includes: Election returns in the campaign for David Cobb's re-election to the House of Representatives against George Leonard and others,  Account of [Elisha Goodwin] of hay cut on the "Great Marsh" in 1795,  Miscellaneous accounts of [David Cobb] for purchases of supplies, wages for surveying and road building in Maine, and other materials as agent for William Bingham, 1795-1796 Letter from "An American" to David Cobb about the naturalization bills before Congress, [Jan. 1795] Letter from Foster Swift (Taunton) to David Cobb about the insertion of the address of the Democratic Society of Philadelphia in the Orrery and the ancestry of Blair McClenachan, Jan. 1795 Note from William Eustis (Boston) to David Cobb wishing him a happy new year, 1 Jan. 1795 Invitation from I. Rope to David Cobb to dine with him on the following Sunday, 2 Jan. 1795, with diary entries in the hand of David Cobb on verso, 1-2 Jan. 1795 Letter from Tench Coxe to David Cobb thanking him for information about iron manufacturing of Plymouth and Bristol, 5 Jan. 1795 Letter from William Eustis (Boston) to David Cobb about the uproar in certain circles at the publication in the Federal Orrery of John Sylvester John Gardiner's "Remarks on the Jacobin," 7 Jan. 1795 Letter from Alexander Hodgdon (Boston) to David Cobb about the semi-annual lottery, 8 Jan. 1795 Letter from Seth Padelford (Taunton) to David Cobb about local events and election returns, 10 Jan. 1795 Letter from Foster Swift (Taunton) to David Cobb about state and local elections and Bristol Academy in Taunton, Mass., 12 Jan.  Letter from William Eustis (Boston) to David Cobb wishing him well, 12 Jan. 1795 Letter from Samuel Fales (Taunton) to David Cobb about election returns, 12 Jan. 1795 Letter from William Eustis (Boston) to David Cobb congratulating him on his successful election, 15 Jan. 1795.
- This collection consists of the papers of David Cobb primarily documenting his position as land agent for William Bingham in Maine, including papers related to the settlement of Maine, logging and the lumber trade, roads, and other subjects. Also included are papers related to his service during the American Revolution and his career as a politician and judge. David Cobb was a Revolutionary War soldier and aide-de-camp to General George Washington, speaker of the Massachusetts House of Representatives and president of the Senate, physician, judge, member of Congress, lieutenant governor of Massachusetts, and a founder of the Society of the Cincinnati and the American Academy of Arts and Sciences. The collection contains letters to Charles W. Hare, Bingham's Philadelphia agent, and Alexander Baring, the future Lord Ashburton and representative of London's House of Baring. Also included are legal actions, financial accounts, maps, and inventories related to land development, fishing, lumbering, census reports, lotteries, the laying out of streets, and the construction of wharves, warehouses, and sawmills in Gouldsboro, Maine, which Cobb tried to develop as a major commercial port. The collection also contains eight fragmentary diaries kept by Cobb, 1781-1818; a manuscript notebook with sketches; lists of British ships of the line; instructions for naval officers; letters to various members of the Cobb family; and letters from William Eustis, Henry Knox, Timothy Pickering, and Israel Thorndike concerning foreign relations, state politics, and miscellaneous financial matters related to the firm of Cobb and Richards, in which Cobb was partner.
AMDigital Reference: Ms. N-1000.
- Original Version:
- Reproduction of: Correspondence between David Cobb and others regarding legislation, elections and agriculture 1-15 Jan 1795.
- Location of Originals:
- Massachusetts Historical Society
- Copyright Note:
- Massachusetts Historical Society
View MARC record | catkey: 24158668