New Zealand Company, Original Correspondence from Agents: Mr. Cowell, A : Correspondence; Newspaper
- Marlborough, Wiltshire : Adam Matthew Digital, 2017.
- Physical Description:
- 1 online resource
- Additional Creators:
- Adam Matthew Digital (Firm)
- Description: Letters relating to John W. Cowell after he was directed by Earl Grey to commence transacting business in the affairs of the New Zealand Company as Commissioner. The majority are sent between Cowell and the Company's principal agent at Wellington, Colonel William Wakefield. Letters refer to unrest amongst settlers lacking confidence in the New Zealand Company when they failed to be forthcoming with promised land and trust funds, and Nelson purchasers claiming lands disputed by the Maori. Others refer to requests made by directors of the Company that agents compile lists of statistical data on colonised settlements in New Zealand, principally so that the directors could better assess the need to raise the price of Company lands. Templates for recording the types of data sought by directors are included, such as tables for employment, birth rates, religious denominations, marital status, ethnicity, housing, death rates, livestock and land owned by inhabitants etc. Minutes of court session of the directors of the New Zealand Company are also included here, discussing Company shares. A printed copy of the 'New Zealand Company Regulations for the Sale of Land and for Pasturage in the Southern Province of New Zealand', 1848 is also included along with copies of New Zealand newspapers.
- The New Zealand Company was a chartered company formed in 1839 and incorporated in 1841 with power to buy, sell, settle and cultivate land in New Zealand. It did not prove a satisfactory agency for colonising New Zealand and was induced to surrender its charters in 1850. It was finally dissolved in 1858. and AMDigital Reference: CO 208/111.
- Original Version:
- Reproduction of: New Zealand Company, Original Correspondence from Agents: Mr. Cowell, A Feb 1840 - 1852.
- Location of Originals:
- The National Archives
- Copyright Note:
- Crown Copyright documents © are reproduced by permission of The National Archives London, UK
View MARC record | catkey: 24179369