Entry-Books of Correspondence: Letters to the Colonial Office. New South Wales, Queensland, Western Australia, Tasmania, 1870-1876 : Correspondence
- Murdoch, Thomas William Clinton
- Marlborough, Wiltshire : Adam Matthew Digital, 2017.
- Physical Description:
- 1 online resource
- Additional Creators:
- Walcott, Stephen and Adam Matthew Digital (Firm)
- Description: Copies of out-letters, mostly addressed to R. G. W Herbert, H. F. Holland, or Frederic Rogers. The correspondence largely covers guano mining, colonial finances, colonial legislation, demands for migrant labour including Polynesian Islanders, and the disposal of land. An index is included at the end of the volume.
- A Colonial Land and Emigration Commission was created in 1840 to undertake the duties of two earlier and overlapping authorities which were both under the supervision of the Secretary of State. These were the Colonisation Commissioners for South Australia, established under an Act of 1834, and the Agent General for Emigration, appointed in 1837. The new commission dealt with grants of land, the outward movement of settlers, the administration of the Passengers' Acts of 1855 and 1863 and, from 1846 to 1859, the scrutiny of colonial legislation. In 1855 it became the Emigration Commission. In 1873 the administration of the Passengers' Acts was transferred to the Board of Trade. The commission's powers were gradually given up to the larger colonies as they obtained self-government, and after 1873 its only duties were the control of the importation of Indian indentured labour into sugar-producing colonies and it was abolished in 1878.
AMDigital Reference: CO 386/78.
- Original Version:
- Reproduction of: Entry-Books of Correspondence: Letters to the Colonial Office. New South Wales, Queensland, Western Australia, Tasmania, 1870-1876 6 Jan 1870 - 12 Dec 1876.
- Location of Originals:
- The National Archives
- Copyright Note:
- Crown Copyright documents © are reproduced by permission of The National Archives London, UK
View MARC record | catkey: 24179612