Birch bark poems. [Vol. I] / by Charles F. Lummis
- Birch bark -- Sonnet: The Old Man of the Mountain -- Getreten -- Drifting -- Song -- Sunset on Profile Lake -- Quatrains -- Canoe Song.
- Fine Printing Collection.
- Illustrated cover title; at foot below illustration: "J.S. Conant--Boston"; "1880" date carved on birch tree pictured to left of title.
Printer's statement and publication information from title cover verso.
Printed entirely on birch bark.
Wood engraved illustration of cherubs stripping birch bark from tree on back cover.
Rare Books copy: in original birch bark self-wrappers.
- Binding Information:
- Birch bark self-wrappers with gold three hole stitch binding.
- Source of Acquisition:
- Rare Books copy: Purchased from Bromer Booksellers; 2018.
Rare Books copy: Purchased with funds from the James Milholland Rare Books Endowment; 2018.
Purchased with funds from the James Milholland Rare Books Endowment; 2018
- Administrative History:
- As a freshman at Harvard Charles Lummis was employed by The Profile House, a fashionable resort in the White Mountains, as a hotel printer to produce menus, etc. He developed a technique for shaving wafer-thin sheets of bark from birch trees. On them he printed and stitched miniature books containing his own poems and sold them in the hotel gift shop and around town for 25 cents each.
- Reviewed/Cited In:
- Bradbury, Robert C., Antique US Miniature Books., p. 211, 2
- Endowment Note:
- James Milholland Rare Books Endowment
View MARC record | catkey: 24181557