Proving and improving : strategies for assessing the first college year / Randy L. Swing, editor
- Columbia, S.C. : National Resource Center for the First-Year Experience & Students in Transition, University of South Carolina, 
- Copyright Date:
- Physical Description:
- xii, 125 pages ; 27 cm.
- Additional Creators:
- Swing, Randy L., 1954-
National Resource Center for the First-Year Experience & Students in Transition (University of South Carolina)
Full Text available online
By special arrangement in response to the COVID-19 pandemic, patrons may access this resource online through the HathiTrust Emergency Temporary Access Service.
- The first-year experience monograph series ; no. 33
- Preface / John N. Gardner -- Introduction / Randy L. Swing -- pt. 1. Overview & rationale -- Observations on assessing the first-year experience / Peter Ewell -- Assessing the first-year student experience : a framework / M. Lee Upcraft & John H. Schuh -- Collaboration : the key to visible and credible assessment efforts / patrick T. Terenzini -- Spurring our professional curiosity about the first-year experience / Karl L. Schilling -- Assessing the first year at a community college / Trudy Bers -- pt. 2. Methods & tools for assessment -- Assessment of the first-year experience : six significant questions / Joseph B. Cuseo -- Assessment resources on the Web / Randy L. Swing -- Developmental theory as a basis for assessment / Nancy J. Evans -- Technology-supported assessment / Randy L. Swing -- Using the SWOT analysis to assess a first-year program / Brenda C. Moore -- The power of benchmarking / Glenn Detrick & Joseph A. Pica -- Tools for assessing the first-year student experience / George D. Kuh -- Course-evaluation surveys and the first-year seminar : recommendations for use / Joseph B. Cuseo -- The mystery shopper program : an innovative tool for assessing performance / Charles Schroeder -- Retention research with a national database / Stephen R. Porter -- The role of students in assessment / Catherine A. Palomba -- Closing the loop : assessment data for decision makers / Kinney Baughman & Randy L. Swing -- pt. 3. Program & institutional examples -- First-year experience jeopardy / Betsy O. Barefoot -- Assessing curricular learning communities / Jodi H. Levine -- IUPUI-University college assessment / Trudy W. Banta -- pt. 4. Conclusions & recommendations -- Highlights from the 1999 and 2000 AAHE assessment conferences / Linda Suskie -- The jury is in / John N. Gardner.
- 1889271373 (alk. paper)
- Bibliography Note:
- Includes bibliographical references.
- Source of Acquisition:
- UP-PAT copy: Purchased with funds from the Paterno Libraries Endowment Fund; 2003.
Abington copy: Purchased with funds from the Paterno Libraries Endowment Fund; 20034.
View MARC record | catkey: 2431807