Night Over China 1971, 1971
- Uniform Title:
- ночь над Китаем. English
- Additional Titles:
- noch' nad Kitaye
- Marlborough, Wiltshire : Adam Matthew Digital.
- Physical Description:
- online resource (video file 0:52:54) : Sound, Black and White
- Additional Creators:
- Medvedkin, Alexander, Georgiev, Valentine, Denisov, Edison, Efimov, E, Buhovtseva, Valentina, Kopisov, Lev, Central Documentary Film Studios, Moscow, and Adam Matthew Digital (Firm)
- Revolution, War, Conflict in China & Korea and Wars & Revolutions
- Soviet documentary about the impossible plans and terrible consequences of Maoism. The film looks at the friendly relations between the Soviet Union and China, and how Maoism caused these to break down. As the Soviets continued to offer support, training and equipment to help the Chinese people, Mao's policies drove the people into poverty and famine. The purges of the Cultural Revolution are also covered. Throughout, the film depicts Mao as a great villain and the enemy of communism and the Chinese Communist Party. The anti-Soviet and anti-communist hatred of Maoism is blamed for threats of war between the USSR and China, even as Mao claimed to be socialist. The film concludes by arguing that Mao is in fact an ally of Western imperialism, operating under the banner of Marxism. Footage includes huge rallies of Mao supporters, which it says were young people driving forward the Cultural Revolution in quasi-religious ecstasy, without really thinking about what they were doing. It looks at the book of quotations (Mao's little red book) that acted like a religious text for them. All other books and education were shut down, something that the film compares to old imperial practices. The economic and cultural policies of Mao are compared to the attempts to destroy sparrows in Beijing. There is footage of the birds being forced out of trees and driven to exhaustion and death - this forms a useful metaphor for the people of China under Mao.
- Creation/Production Credits Note:
- Contributors: Medvedkin, Alexander; Georgiev, Valentine; Denisov, Edison; Efimov, E.; Buhovtseva, Valentina; Kopisov, Lev. and Production Company: Central Documentary Film Studios, Moscow.
- Original Version:
- Reproduction of: ночь над Китаем USSR, 1971.
- Copyright Note:
- The British Film Institute
View MARC record | catkey: 24453974