Cities' identity through architecture and arts : proceedings of the 1st International Conference on Cities' Identity Through Architecture & Arts, Cairo, Egypt, 11-13 May, 2017 / editors, Anna Catalani, College of Arts, University of Lincoln, Lincoln, UK [and 7 others].
- Conference Author:
- International Conference on Cities' Identity Through Architecture and Arts (1st : 11-13 May 2017 : airo, Egypt)
- Additional Titles:
- Cities' identity through architecture and arts : proceedings of the 1st International Conference on Cities' Identity Through Architecture and Arts, Cairo, Egypt, 11-13 May, 2017
- London : Routledge, 
- Copyright Date:
- First edition.
- Physical Description:
- 1 online resource (xix, 563 pages)
- Additional Creators:
- Catalani, Anna
- ezaccess.libraries.psu.edu , Click here to view.
- Machine generated contents note: Architectural identity and globalization -- Architecture -- A great Chinese `rural' metropolis---the unity and contradictions in Beijing's urban identity / X. Li -- Architectural ornaments in the twenty-first century: An analytical study / C.M. Elrayies -- Conservation strategies to revive the imageability of the Kumbakonam historic town / K. Kiruthiga -- Envisioning the unseen: Interdisciplinary approach between painting and architecture / R. Elhelw -- Heritage management: Investigating current practices in sustainable retrofitting of built heritage, methodologies, tools and approaches / L. Khodeir -- New urbanism and its reflection on residential interior design in Egypt / S.-K. Kim -- Place identity/place making in the built environment towards a methodological perspective / A. Abdel-Hadi -- Sustainable urban heritage conservation strategies---case study of historic Jeddah districts / A.M. Shehata -- The correlation between art and architecture to promote social interaction in public space / E.M. Elgizawy -- The miniatures of Lahore Darbar / A.K. Bhatti -- The potential of the eco-passive construction technique for the Western Desert in Egypt / A.R. Abdin -- Towards public identity and climate awareness architecture / L. Sriti -- Vernacular culture and its contribution to the identity of Auresian houses in Algeria / N. Zemmouri -- The historical symbolizing of Istanbul city through its iconic buildings / H. Coskun -- Interior design Anticipating possible future visions in interior architecture / A. Harb -- Contemporary Egyptian theatre and heritage / O.A. Yehia -- Design ideology through architectural identity: A hybrid dynamic potential / M.M. Youssef -- The mutual influence of the Mamluk interior architecture and urban planning in Damascus / K. Abdullah -- Usage of Arundo Donax L. as a sustainable material in interior design and architecture / S. Noaman -- City as a scene -- Architecture -- Authenticity of the physical environment that influences a sense of place: A qualitative study at Ampel Street Corridor, Surabaya, Indonesia / A. Kusumowidagdo -- Back into the future: The city improvement board of Hyderabad / A.S. Naik -- Drama as a conservation tool for architectural heritage / S. Sabahy -- Human response and the complex city scene / V.S. Adane -- Interactions between urban dynamics and new spatial patterns: The case of Istanbul / O. Ozten -- Investigating a sense of place at a historic commercial street corridor: Visitor perception of social aspects / D.K. Wardhani -- Jammu---the city of temples / C.M. Seth -- Nature and physical configuration: A study of topographical influences on the physical configuration of mountain settlements in the Iraqi Kurdistan region / A.I. Ahmed -- The effect of social and environmental factors on the urban form of a place: A fishing village in Hurghada, Egypt / E.F.M. Bassily -- The nature of cities / D. Chizzoniti -- The Potential of Pavements in the Identity Conflict of a City / D.A.M. Osman -- Towards sustainable slum development: A performance evaluation approach for slum upgrading plans in Egypt / S.A. Magdi -- Urban identity and lifestyles of gated communities in Egypt / A.M.S. Ahmed -- Graphic -- From national disgrace to cultural heritage and international film set. The case of Matera (Italy) / R. La Gioia -- Strategies of creative thinking for solving design problems in the field of graphic design / M. M. K. Mohammed Elboksomaty -- History and arts -- A process of urban regeneration from below. The case of Taranto (Italy) / R. La Gioia -- City as an organism -- Architecture -- Developing sustainable urban growth in Egypt towards the location of renewable energy resources / W.A. Ahoneama -- Enhancing the housing industry in Egypt through the application of new design and construction techniques aimed towards sustainability and actual market demand / W.A. Aboneama -- Reclaiming the city: Guerrilla Gardening in Nairobi / S.R. Hussain -- Recording the intangible heritage of the city in the Metropolitan Area of Porto / F. Paulino -- The urban regeneration of the peripheral areas. The case study of Tor Vergata (Rome, Italy) / C. Tonelli -- New ornaments' influence on the character of modern cities / A. Elgohary -- History and arts -- Arabian urban text art: Between cultural identity and artistic identity / S. Alharazy -- The remaining houses of the two pearl merchants Ahmed Munawar Rifai and Hussein Bin Yahiya Rifai in the Farasan Islands in the 14th century AH/20th century AD: A study of aesthetic and artistic values / E.A. Aref -- Planning and approaching the city -- Architecture -- Architecture of the 21st century museum as a catalytic phenomenon in the evolving cultural identity of a city / S. Ibrisimbegovic -- Conserving historical areas through the roles of main cities: Urban identity in the era of globalisation / A. Elewa -- Entrance gateway of Kerala temples: Assessing the form of a Kerala temple gopuram through material and construction / M. Yamuna Vijayan -- Expression of cultural identity in the contemporary urban built form of Kathmandu / B. Shrestha -- Reimagining city identity through safe and sustainable public environments / D. Deniz -- Smart grids, smart cities, interior spaces and human behaviour: An interactive development process / A.M. Elhalwagy -- History and arts -- Identity in transformation of rural Egyptian villages / L. De Bonis -- Metaphysics and identity in architecture: Peter Eisenman's Wexner Center for the Arts as case study / H. Bahgat El Refeie -- Immersing the landscape in its music: The case of iso-polyphony in South Albania / L. De Bonis -- The changing image of Istanbul through its monuments (1923--1973) / E. Gungoren -- The cumulative effect of an interdisciplinary project / A. Christophinis -- Unearthing the spatial archetypes of two indigenous South Asian cities: The walled city of Old Delhi and Old Dhaka / Md. Obidul Hague.
- "Every city has its unique and valuable identity, this identity is revealed through its physical and visual form, it is seen through the eyes of its residents and users. The city develops over time, and its identity evolves with it. Reflecting the rapid and constant changes the city is subjected to, Architecture and Arts, is the embodiment of the cultural, historical, and economical characteristics of the city. This conference is dedicated for the investigation of the different new approaches developed in Architecture and Contemporary arts. It will focus on the basis of urban life and identities.It will discuss the examples and tendencies in dealing with urban identities as well as the transformation of cities and urban cultures mentioned in terms of their form, identity, and their current art. Contemporary art, when subjected to experiments, continues to be produced in various directions, to be consumed and to put forward new ideas. Art continuously renews itself -from new materials to different means of communication, from interactive works to computer games, from new approaches to perceptional paradigms and problems of city and nature of the millennium."--Provided by publisher.
- 9781351680332 (e-book: PDF) (e-book : PDF)
- Bibliography Note:
- Includes bibliographical references and index.
- Other Forms:
- Also available in print format.
View MARC record | catkey: 24469434