The biology of the first 1,000 days / [edited by] Crystal D. Karakochuk, Kyly C. Whitfield, Tim J. Green, and Klaus Kraemer
- Oxidative stress and disease ; 42
- Machine generated contents note: ch. 1 The Importance of the First 1,000 Days: An Epidemiological Perspective -- ch. 2 World Health Organization Child Growth Standards / Christine M. McDonald / Andrew L. Thorne-Lyman -- ch. 3 Nutrient Requirements and Recommendations during Pregnancy / Mercedes de Onis -- ch. 4 Nutrient Requirements during Lactation / Lynnette M. Neufeld / Magali Leyvraz -- ch. 5 Nutrient Requirements of Infants and Young Children / Victoria Hall Moran -- ch. 6 Hormonal Regulation during Lactation and Human Milk Production / Nancy F. Krebs / Minghua Tang / Kathryn G. Dewey -- ch. 7 Thyroid Function and Growth: The Mechanisms of Iodine / William R. Crowley -- ch. 8 Neural Tube Defects: Mechanisms of Folate / Fabian Rohner / Jessica Farebrother -- ch. 9 Cleft Lip and Palate / Anne M. Molloy -- ch. 10 Obesity and Gestational Diabetes / Katherine Kula / Ahmed Ghoneima / Eman Allam -- ch. 11 Nutrition and Hypertensive Disorders of Pregnancy / Michael J. Turner / Maria Farren -- ch. 12 Low Birth Weight and Small for Gestational Age in the Context of 1,000 Days / Antonia W. Shand / Tim J. Green -- ch. 13 Acute Malnutrition / Amira M. Khan / Bianca Carducci / Zulfiqar A. Bhutta -- ch. 14 Management of Acute Malnutrition in Infants under 6 Months of Age / Andre Briend -- ch. 15 Chronic Malnutrition / Marie McGrath / Marko Kerac -- ch. 16 Nutritional Regulation of the Growth Plate / Saskia de Pee -- ch. 17 Gestational Weight Gain and Body Composition in Pregnant and Postpartum Women / Julian C. Lui -- ch. 18 Body Composition Changes from Infancy to Young Childhood / Elisabet Forsum -- ch. 19 Early Life Gut Microbiome / Daniel J. Hoffman / Pamela L. Barrios -- ch. 20 Impact of Different Exposures, Including Environmental Enteropathies on Gut Flora Integrity / Stephen P. Cummings / Christopher J. Stewart -- ch. 21 Effects of Early Diet on Childhood Allergy / Fayrouz A. Sakr Ashour -- ch. 22 Epigenetics, Nutrition and Infant Health / Merryn Netting / Maria Makrides -- ch. 23 Fetal Origins of Obesity, Cardiovascular Disease and Type 2 Diabetes / Andrew M. Prentice / Philip T. James / Matt J. Silver -- ch. 24 Effectiveness of Nutrition-Specific Interventions in Pregnancy and Early Childhood / Naomi S. Levitt / Herculina Salome Kruger -- ch. 25 Nutrition-Sensitive Interventions for the First 1,000 Days / Robert E. Black / Adrienne Clermont / Rebecca Heidkamp -- ch. 26 Global Progress in the Scaling Up Nutrition (SUN) Movement / Haley Swartz / Jessica Fanzo -- ch. 27 A Role for Preconception Nutrition / Tom Arnold -- ch. 28 Interpregnancy Intervals and Birth Spacing / Luz Maria De-Regil / Sara Wuehler / Taylor Marie Snyder / Homero Martinez -- ch. 29 Adolescent Nutrition: A Critical Opportunity for Intervention / Usha Ramakrishnan / Amanda Wendt -- ch. 30 Metabolomics and Proteomics: Methodological Advances to Increase Our Knowledge of Biology during the First 1,000 Days / Emily Mates / Anne Bush.
- "The first 1,000 days, from conception to two years of age, is a critical period of growth and development. Exposures to dietary, environmental, hormonal, and other stressors during this window have been associated with an increased risk of poor health outcomes, some of which are irreversible. The book addresses this crucial interval of early life across biological disciplines, linking concepts related to all biological fields to outcomes during the first 1,000 days (e.g. fetal growth and pregnancy outcomes) and beyond (e.g. gut microbiome and cardiovascular disease later in life). The strength of this book lies in its cross-disciplinary nature."--Provided by publisher.
- 9781498756808 (e-book: PDF) (e-book : PDF), 9781351639460 (e-book: Mobi), and 9781498756792 (hardback)
- Bibliography Note:
- Includes bibliographical references and index.
- Other Forms:
- Also available in print format.
View MARC record | catkey: 24469507