Welcoming new Americans? : local governments and immigrant incorporation / Abigail Fisher Williamson
- Williamson, Abigail Fisher
- Chicago : The University of Chicago Press, 2018.
- Copyright Date:
- Physical Description:
- xii, 389 pages ; 24 cm
- Introduction -- Part 1: Local government responses to immigrants. Municipal responses across four new immigrant destinations -- Municipal responses nationwide: frequent inaction, substantial accommodation, rare restriction -- Part 2: Explaining local government responses to immigrants. Federal policies, national politics, and local understanding of immigrants -- Beyond bureaucrats: elected and appointed officials' incentives for accommodation -- The civil rights legacy, external scrutiny, and reining in restrictive response -- Part 3: Local government responses and consequences for immigrant incorporation. The select few: municipal accommodation and elite collaboration -- Municipal accommodation: generating welcome or backlash? -- Conclusion.
- 9780226572512 hardcover ; alkaline paper
022657251X hardcover ; alkaline paper
9780226572659 paperback ; alkaline paper
022657265X paperback ; alkaline paper
- Bibliography Note:
- Includes bibliographical references and index.
View MARC record | catkey: 24506310