The American Negro Theatre and the long civil rights era / Jonathan Shandell
- Shandell, Jonathan
- Iowa City : University of Iowa Press, 
- Physical Description:
- xii, 213 pages : illustrations ; 23 cm.
- Foreword / by James V. Hatch with Carlye Eckert -- Introduction : beyond an integrationist/separatist binary -- Uptown and downtown with the American Negro Theatre -- The Black dramas of the American Negro Theatre -- Anna Lucasta in Harlem and on Broadway -- Frederick O'Neal's two-front fight for integration in the theatre -- Black selfhood and interracial communion in the drama of Alice Childress -- Communal belonging and solitary sainthood in the films of Sidney Poitier -- Continuations.
- American Negro Theatre
- African American theater—History—20th century
- Theater and society—United States—History—20th century
- African Americans in the performing arts
- African American theater
- Race relations
- Theater and society
- United States—Race relations—20th century
- Harlem (New York, N.Y.)—History—20th century
- United States
- 9781609385941 paperback ; alkaline paper
1609385942 paperback ; alkaline paper
- Bibliography Note:
- Includes bibliographical references (pages 177-208) and index.
View MARC record | catkey: 24511173