Book clubs : women and the uses of reading in everyday life / Elizabeth Long
- Long, Elizabeth, 1944-
- Chicago : University of Chicago Press, 2003.
- Physical Description:
- xx, 254 pages : illustrations ; 24 cm
- On the social nature of reading -- Nineteenth-century white women's reading groups : literary inspiration and social reform -- Between past and present : introductory reflections on the changing nature of women's reading groups -- Exploring the social world of Houston's reading groups -- Book selection : negotiating group identity through literature -- Conversing with books, fashioning subjectivity, dealing with difference -- Reading groups and the challenge of mass communication and marketing -- At the end.
- 0226492613 (hbk. : alk. paper)
0226492621 (pbk. : alk. paper)
- Bibliography Note:
- Includes bibliographical references (pages 235-245) and index.
View MARC record | catkey: 2467499