Right of publicity in a nutshell / Michael D. Murray
- Murray, Michael D., 1965-
- Additional Titles:
- Right of publicity
- St. Paul, MN : West Academic Publishing, 
- Copyright Date:
- Physical Description:
- 1 online resource (xv, 207 pages) : illustrations
- The concept of a right of publicity -- Privacy and publicity : origin and distinctions -- The modern right of privacy -- Theory and policy supporting the right of publicity -- Requirements of a right of publicity action -- Post-mortem right of publicity -- Copyright preemption and the effect of licensing -- False endorsement and false designation of origin -- Fair use of celebrity names, images, and likenesses -- The future of the right of publicity -- Appendix. Chart of the fifty states' right of publicity laws.
- "Right of Publicity in a Nutshell will orient and acclimate the reader to the structure, public policy, claims, issues, and defenses of right of publicity law that regulates the use of celebrity names, images, and likenesses. The guide will teach you the vocabulary to use when consulting with lawyers, clients, accountants, financial planners, and insurers in the arts, entertainment, and sports fields. The book covers the concept of a right of publicity, the origin and distinctions between privacy and publicity law, the modern right of privacy, the theory and policy supporting the right of publicity, the requirements of a right of publicity action, the post-mortem right of publicity, copyright preemption and the effect of licensing, the federal false endorsement and false designation of origin claims, fair use of celebrity names, images, and likenesses, and the future of the right of publicity."--Publisher website.
- 9781683289425 (electronic bk.)
1683289420 (electronic bk.)
9781642422825 (electronic bk.)
1642422827 (electronic bk.)
- Bibliography Note:
- Includes bibliographical references and index.
View MARC record | catkey: 24770220