The Oxford handbook of the history of phenomenology / edited by Dan Zahavi
- Additional Titles:
- History of phenomenology
- Oxford : Oxford University Press, 2018.
- Copyright Date:
- First edition.
- Physical Description:
- xv, 775 pages ; 26 cm.
- Additional Creators:
- Zahavi, Dan
- Oxford handbooks
- Machine generated contents note: pt. I TRADITIONS -- 1.Aristotle in Phenomenology / Pavlos Kontos -- 2.Descartes' Notion of the Mind-Body Union and its Phenomenological Expositions / Timo Kaitaro -- 3.Kant, Neo-Kantianism, and Phenomenology / Sebastian Luft -- 4.Phenomenology and German Idealism / Alexander Schnell -- 5.Phenomenology and Descriptive Psychology: Brentano, Stumpf, Husserl / Denis Fisette -- pt. II FIGURES -- 6.Husserls Early Period: Juvenilia and the Logical Investigations / Peter Andras Varga -- 7.Husserls Middle Period and the Development of his Ethics / John J. Drummond -- 8.Pre-Predicative Experience and Life-World: Two Distinct Projects in Husserls Late Phenomenology / Andrea Staiti -- 9.Scheler on the Moral and Political Significance of the Emotions / Anthony Steinbock -- 10.Edith Steins Challenge to Sense-Making: The Role of the Lived Body, Psyche, and Spirit / Antonio Calcagno -- 11.The Early Heidegger's Phenomenology / Daniel O. Dahlstrom -- 12.The Middle Heidegger's Phenomenological Metaphysics / Steven Crowell -- 13.Phenomenology and Ontology in the Later Heidegger / Tobias Keiling -- 14.Schutz and Gurwitsch on Agency / Michael D. Barber -- 15.Sartre's Transcendental Phenomenology / Jonathan Webber -- 16.The Later Sartre: From Phenomenology to Hermeneutics to Dialectic and Back / Thomas R. Flynn -- 17.Simone de Beauvoir: Philosopher, Author, Feminist / Debra Bergoffen -- 18.Science in Merleau-Ponty's Phenomenology: From the Early Work to the Later Philosophy / Komarine Romdenh-Romluc -- 19.Merleau-Ponty from 1945 to 1952: The Ontological Weight of Perception and the Transcendental Force of Description / Donald A. Landes -- 20.Rereading the Later Merleau-Ponty in the Light of his Unpublished Work / Emmanuel de Saint Aubert -- 21.Jan Patocka's Philosophical Legacy / James Dodd -- 22.An Immense Power: The Three Phenomenological Insights Supporting Derridean Deconstruction / Leonard Lawlor -- 23.When Alterity Becomes Proximity: Levinas's Path / Robert Bernasconi -- 24.Turn to Excess: The Development of Phenomenology in Late Twentieth-Century French Thought / Christina M. Gschwandtner -- pt. III THEMES -- 25.Phenomenological Methodology / Karl Mertens -- 26.Subjectivity: From Husserl to his Followers (and Back Again) / Rudolf Bernet -- 27.The Inquietude of Time and the Instance of Eternity: Husserl, Heidegger, and Levinas / Nicolas de Warren -- 28.Embodiment and Bodily Becoming / Sara Heinamaa -- 29.From the Origin of Spatiality to a Variety of Spaces / Filip Mattens -- 30.Intentionality: Lived Experience, Bodily Comportment, and the Horizon of the World / Dermot Moran -- 31.Practical Intentionality: From Brentano to the Phenomenology of the Munich and Gottingen Circles / Alessandro Salice -- 32.Ideal Verificationism and Perceptual Faith: Husserl and Merleau-Ponty on Perceptual Knowledge / Walter Hopp -- 33.Husserl, Heidegger, and Merleau-Ponty on the World of Experience / Hanne Jacobs -- 34.Imagination De-Naturalized: Phantasy, the Imaginary, and Imaginative Ontology / Julia Jansen -- 35.Value, Freedom, Responsibility: Central Themes in Phenomenological Ethics / Sophie Loidolt -- 36.Historicity and the Hermeneutic Predicament: From Yorck to Derrida / Hans Ruin -- 37.Intersubjectivity, Sociality, Community: The Contribution of the Early Phenomenologists / Dan Zahavi.
- This Oxford Handbook offers a broad critical survey of the development of phenomenology, one of the main streams of philosophy since the 19th century. Comprising 37 specially written essays by leading figures in the field, it will be the authoritative guide to how phenomenology started, how it developed, and where it is heading.
- 0198755341 (hardbound)
- Series statement from jacket.
- Bibliography Note:
- Includes bibliographical references and index.
View MARC record | catkey: 24770314