Body positive : understanding and improving body image in science and practice / edited by Elizabeth A. Daniels, University of Colorado Colorado Springs, Meghan M. Gillen, Pennsylvania State University, Charlotte H. Markey, Rutgers University
- Cambridge, United Kingdom ; New York, NY, USA : Cambridge University Press, 2018.
- Copyright Date:
- Physical Description:
- xiv, 267 pages : illustrations ; 24 cm
- Additional Creators:
- Daniels, Elizabeth A., 1976-, Gillen, Meghan M., 1979-, and Markey, Charlotte H., 1975-
- Introduction : becoming positive--our growing understanding of positive body image / Meghan M. Gillen, Charlotte H. Markey, and Elizabeth A. Daniels -- Overview of the field of positive body image / Tracy L. Tylka -- Positive body image by gender and across the lifespan / Lina A. Ricciardelli, Marie L. Caltabiano, and Laura D. D'Antuono -- Considering positive body image through the lens of culture and minority social identities / Viren Swami -- Moving beyond body dissatisfaction and risky sexual behavior : a critical review of positive body image and sexual health scholarship / Virginia Ramseyer Winter -- Appearance-related practices : can they be part of a positive body image? / Kristina Holmqvist Gattario and Carolina Lunde -- Mindful self-care and positive body image : mindfulness, yoga, and actionable tools for positive embodiment / Catherine Cook-Cottone -- The health at every size® paradigm : promoting body positivity for all bodies / Patti Lou Watkins, Dawn Clifford, and Brian Souza -- Better than before : individual strategies for body image improvement / Jamie L. Dunaev and Charlotte H. Markey -- Programmatic approaches to cultivating positive body image in youth / Elizabeth A. Daniels and Tomi-Ann Roberts -- Clinical applications of positive body image / Nichole L. Wood-Barcalow and Casey L. Augustus-Horvath.
- What would it be like to feel good about your body? Does anyone really fully appreciate their body? If diverse body shapes and sizes were shown in the media, would this change your perception? While this book addresses all of these questions and more, it is not simply a standard scientific exploration of poor body image. Instead, it examines a new movement focused on understanding what it is that leads people to love, appreciate, take care of, and embrace their bodies. Featuring chapters written by leading, international experts in the science and practice of body image, Body Positive is a provocative and engaging look at how we feel about our physical selves in the twenty-first century--and how we can all come to feel better than we currently do.
- 9781108419321 hardcover
- Bibliography Note:
- Includes bibliographical references and index.
View MARC record | catkey: 24772258