Presidents of War / Michael Beschloss
- Beschloss, Michael R.
- Additional Titles:
- Presidents of War : the epic story, from 1807 to modern times
- New York : Crown, 
- Copyright Date:
- First edition.
- Physical Description:
- xi, 739 pages, 32 unnumbered pages of plates : illustrations (some color) ; 25 cm
- Torrent of passion -- Man of straw -- The most glorious war -- The country is now virtually ours -- A presidential war -- Fort Sumter -- Blood flowing all about me -- Maine blown up -- We must keep what we want -- The world is on fire -- Salvation of mankind -- How could this thing happen? -- The survival war -- I am going to let them have it -- I didn't ask their permission -- We got slapped -- I don't have a parachute.
- Presidential historian Michael Beschloss uses original letters, diaries, declassified documents, and interviews to bring us into the room and into the minds of a procession of Chief Executives who took the nation into major conflicts, mobilized Americans for victory, and seized greater power for themselves. From James Madison and the War of 1812 to Lyndon Johnson and Vietnam, we see these leaders struggling with Congress, the courts, the press, their own advisers, and antiwar protesters; seeking comfort from their spouses, families, and friends; and dropping to their knees in prayer. We come to understand how these Presidents were able to withstand the pressures of war -- both physically and emotionally -- or were broken by them.
- 9780307409607 (hardback)
- Bibliography Note:
- Includes bibliographical references and index.
- Source of Acquisition:
- Purchased with funds from the Paterno Libraries Endowment (Campus College Libraries); 2018
- Endowment Note:
- Paterno Libraries Endowment (Campus College Libraries)
View MARC record | catkey: 24772880