Tim O'Brien : a critical companion / Patrick A. Smith
- Smith, Patrick A., 1967-
- Westport, Conn. : Greenwood Press, 2005.
- Physical Description:
- xi, 181 pages : portrait ; 25 cm.
Full Text available online
By special arrangement in response to the COVID-19 pandemic, patrons may access this resource online through the HathiTrust Emergency Temporary Access Service.
- Critical companions to popular contemporary writers, 1082-4979
- The words are all : a brief biography of Tim O'Brien -- Creating art from the ashes of war : context and style in O'Brien's fiction -- If I die in a combat zone, box me up and ship me home (1973) -- Northern lights (1975) -- Going after Cacciato (1978) -- The nuclear age (1985) -- The things they carried (1990) -- In the Lake of the Woods (1994) -- Tomcat in love (1998) -- July, July (2002).
- Tim O'Brien's first-hand experiences fighting in the Vietnam War are reflected in his many popular fiction novels, which are examined in this companion to his works. After growing up in Minnesota and graduating from college, he received a draft notice and joined the war effort in Vietnam. He chronicled his combat experiences in his memoir If I Die in a Combat Zone, Box Me Up and Ship Me Home, and then went on to write the eight novels that are discussed in this volume. The novels reflect their characters' struggle with the effects of place, namely small-town America, in the Vietnam Era.
- O'Brien, Tim, 1946-—Criticism and interpretation
- O'Brien, Tim, 1946-
- O'Brien, Tim (Schriftsteller)
- O'Brien, Tim, 1946-.
- Vietnam War (1961-1975)
- Vietnam War, 1961-1975—Literature and the war
- War stories, American—History and criticism
- War and literature
- War stories, American
- Vietnamkrieg (Motiv)
- 0313330557 (alk. paper) and 9780313330551 (alk. paper)
- Bibliography Note:
- Includes bibliographical references (pages 165-176) and index.
- Source of Acquisition:
- Purchased with funds from the Paterno Libraries Endowment (Campus College Libraries); 2018
View MARC record | catkey: 24774902