Exploring the life of the soul : philosophical reflections on psychoanalysis and self psychology / John Hanwell Riker
- Riker, John H., 1943-
- Lanham : Lexington Books, 
- Copyright Date:
- Physical Description:
- xxvii, 166 pages ; 24 cm
- Part I. Psychoanalysis and the nature of the self and soul. 1. Knowledge in psychoanalysis: can there be a science of subjectivity? -- 2. The life of the soul -- 3. Subjectivity, the ego, and the self -- 4. The erotic self: Plato, Freud, and Kohut -- 5. Ancient theology and contemporary self psychology -- 6. Emerson and Thoreau: the self in relation to nature -- Part II. Self psychology, culture, and society. 7. Ethics, modern society, and self psychology -- 8. Self psychology and the problem of the other -- 9. What do humans need to be human? -- 10. Self psychology and historical explanation -- Conclusion -- Bibliography -- Index.
- In this book, John Hanwell Riker develops and expands the conceptual framework of self psychology in order to offer contemporary readers a naturalistic ground for adopting an ethical way of being in the world.
- 9781498543903 (alk. paper) and 1498543901 (alk. paper)
- Bibliography Note:
- Includes bibliographical references (pages 157-160) and index.
View MARC record | catkey: 24774950