Negotiating peace : a guide to the practice, politics, and law of international mediation / Sven M.G. Koopmans
- Koopmans, Sven M. G. (Sven Michael George), 1973-
- Oxford ; New York, NY : Oxford University Press, 2018.
- First edition.
- Physical Description:
- xvi, 275 pages ; 24 cm
- Negotiating peace -- Negotiation, mediation, and other means -- Mediators -- Parties -- Strategies and planning -- Negotiating an agreement -- Concluding an agreement -- Conclusion.
- This book is the first and only practical guide to negotiating peace. In this book Sven Koopmans, who is both a peace negotiator and a scholar, discusses the practice, politics, and law of international mediation. With both depth and a light touch he explores successful as well as failed attempts to settle the wars of the world, building on decades of historical, political, and legal scholarship. Who can mediate between warring parties? How to build confidence between enemies? Who should take part in negotiations? How can a single diplomat manage the major powers? What issues to discuss first, what last? When to set a deadline? How to maintain confidentiality? How to draft an agreement, and what should be in it? How to ensure implementation? The book discusses the practical difficulties and dilemmas of negotiating agreements, as well as existing solutions and possible future approaches. It uses examples from around the world, with an emphasis on the conflicts of the last twenty-five years, but also of the previous two-and-a-half-thousand. Rather than looking only at either legal, political or organizational issues, Negotiating Peace discusses these interrelated dimensions in the way they are confronted in practice: as an integral whole. With one leading question: what can be done?
- 0198826885 hardback
- Bibliography Note:
- Includes bibliographical references and index.
- Source of Acquisition:
- Purchased with funds from the Barbara S. Klein Libraries Collection Endowment in Art History and International Affairs; 2018
- Endowment Note:
- Barbara S. Klein Libraries Collection Endowment in Art History and International Affairs
View MARC record | catkey: 24777319