What is it about me you can't teach? : culturally responsive instruction in deeper learning classrooms / Eleanor René́e Rodriguez, James Bellanca, Deborah Rosalia Esparza
- Machine generated contents note: 1. I Never Promised You a Rose Garden -- The Challenge of 21st Century Deeper Learning -- Reform Efforts -- Made, Not Born -- High-Expectations Research -- The Number One Challenge -- 2. High Expectations for All: Practicing What We Preach -- The Magic of Mediation -- The Evidence Pathway -- A Substantive Pathway to Higher Achievement for All -- The Big Picture -- High Expectations and Professional Development -- Key Points to Remember -- Checking the Sample Lessons -- Sample Lessons -- Takeaways From This Chapter -- 3. Two Sides of the Same Coin -- Side One The Teacher's Intention -- Side Two The Students' Response -- Designing Intentionality and Reciprocity in Every Lesson -- Tactics to Promote Intentionality and Reciprocity -- Two Sides of a Coin -- Key Points to Remember -- Sample Lessons -- Takeaways From This Chapter -- 4. Just What Do You Mean? -- The Mediation of Meaning -- Strategies for the Mediation of Meaning -- Sample Lessons -- Key Points to Remember About Making Meaning -- Takeaways From This Chapter -- 5. Rising Above It All -- Getting to the Heart of the Thought -- The Transcending Idea -- Transcendence: The Highest Expectations; the Deepest Learning -- Formulating Principles -- Learning for a Lifetime -- Key Points to Remember -- Sample Lessons -- Takeaways From This Chapter -- 6. Stop and Think -- Discipline and Intrinsic Motivation -- Interrupting Impulsive Behavior -- Instrumental Enrichment -- Stop, Think, Achieve -- The STANDARD Instruments -- Getting to the Basics -- The BASIC Instruments -- The Power of Metacognition -- Promoting Self-Regulation Every Day, All Day -- Tactics for Fostering Self-Regulation -- Bridging Self-Regulation Into Every Lesson -- Key Points to Remember -- Sample Lessons -- Takeaways From This Chapter -- 7. Good to Go -- Strengthening the Will to Succeed -- A Lifelong Learning Goal -- Students Who Feel Incompetent -- Mediating the Feeling of Competence -- The Right Way to Ask the Right Questions: Tactics for Success -- The No-Hide Tactics -- Seeing Is Believing -- This One Is Just Like the Other One -- Key Points to Remember -- Sample Lessons -- Takeaways From This Chapter -- 8. Sharing Behavior -- Looking Back: The Advocates of Sharing Behavior -- Sharing Behaviors in the Home and Family -- Cooperative Learning: The Primary Evidence-Based Strategy for the Development of Sharing Behaviors -- Cooperative Team Skills -- Key Points to Remember -- Sample Lessons -- Takeaways From This Chapter -- 9. Who Is in Charge? -- The Mediation of Individuation -- The Multiple Intelligences: Many Ways to Solve a Problem -- Applying Gardner's Theory -- Differentiating Instruction in a Multiple Intelligences Framework -- MindQuest21 Cycle -- Key Points to Remember -- Sample Lessons -- Takeaways From This Chapter -- 10. What's Your Goal? -- The Mediation of Goal Planning -- Four Aspects of Goal Setting -- The Rubric for Goal Planning: Standards and Criteria -- Reflective Goal-Setting Strategies -- Key Points to Remember -- Sample Lessons -- Takeaways From This Chapter -- 11. Finding My Way -- Mediating Self-Directed Change -- Quick-Start Tactics -- Key Points to Remember -- Sample Lessons -- Takeaways From This Chapter -- 12. Meeting the Challenge -- The Mediation of Challenge -- Creating Challenges -- Five Things Not to Do -- Integrating Thinking Across the Curriculum -- Using the Three-Story Intellect Model -- More Question-Asking Strategies -- Key Points to Remember -- Sample Lessons -- Takeaways From This Chapter -- 13. The No-Frills Pathway to Deeper Learning -- Maintaining the Dream for All -- Making Simple Changes Simply -- No-Frills Professional Development for All -- Critical Elements in the No-Frills Model -- Building a History of Improvement: A Yearbook of Progress -- Key Points to Remember -- In Conclusion -- Takeaways From This Chapter.
- "We've all heard the stories of extraordinary teachers that reach struggling students and set them on a new path. Now in its third edition, this powerful book features timely new content from innovative schools and teachers, showing how to raise student achievement by upholding high expectations, while teaching with cultural responsiveness. The authors are guided by one fundamental principle: Every child has a birthright to an equitable education, one that prepares him or her for 21st century career and college readiness."--Publisher's website.
- 9781506345642 (pbk. ; alk. paper)
1506345646 (pbk. ; alk. paper)
- Bibliography Note:
- Includes bibliographical references and index.
- Source of Acquisition:
- Purchased with funds from the Paterno Libraries Endowment (Campus College Libraries); 2018
View MARC record | catkey: 24805987