Tom Mix : a heavily illustrated biography of the western star, with a filmography / Paul E. Mix
- Mix, Paul E.
- Jefferson, North Carolina : Mcfarland & Company, Inc., Publishers, 
- Copyright Date:
- Physical Description:
- vii, 328 pages : illustrations ; 23 cm
- Machine generated contents note: 1.West Is Where the Heart Is -- 2."I Want to Be a Soldier" -- 3.Freelance Lawman and Daredevil -- 4.Early Selig Films -- 5.A 1920s Hollywood Mogul -- 6.The Ralston Phenomenon -- 7.A Tired and Aging Miracle Rider -- 8.The Sawdust Trail: A Trail of Tears -- 9.The Fatal Crash and Its Aftermath -- 10.Long Live the King of the Cowboys -- Appendix 1 Chronology of Tom Mix's Military Service -- Appendix 2 Newspaper Headline Chronology -- Filmography -- Selig Polyscope Company -- Fox -- FBO (Film Booking Office) -- Universal Pictures -- Mascot Studios.
- "Tom Mix became a major star in the 1920s, earning over $900,000 for his movie work in 1921. Fox refused, however, to renew his contract in 1927, and that, coupled with the stock market crash of 1929, left him virtually penniless. In 1932 Mix resumed his movie career, making Destry Rides Again, his first "talkie." Later he became a circus owner and star. This is the story of Mix's life and career; it includes a comprehensive filmography of his work."
- Bibliography Note:
- Includes bibliographical references (pages 303-307) and index.
View MARC record | catkey: 24806053