Approaches to teaching the works of Ralph Waldo Emerson / edited by Mark C. Long and Sean Ross Meehan
- Approaches to teaching world literature, 1059-1133 ; 155
- Editions and texts -- Critical reception -- Critical studies -- Intellectual and critical contexts -- Digital resources -- Introduction : learning from Emerson -- Approaching Emerson as a public intellectual -- Emerson the orator : teaching the narratives of "The Divinity School address" / David M. Robinson -- Emerson the essayist in the American essay canon / Ned Stuckey-French -- Politically ethical aesthetics : teaching Emerson's poetry in the context of diversity in the United States / Saundra Morris -- Teaching Emerson's philosophical inheritance / Susan L. Dunston -- Emerson and the reform culture of the Second Great Awakening / Todd H. Richardson -- The turbulent embrace of thinking : teaching Emerson the educator / Martin Bickman -- Emerson the author : introducing the collected works of Ralph Waldo Emerson into the classroom / Ronald A. Bosco -- Once more into the breach : teaching Emerson's Nature / Michael P. Branch -- "The American Scholar" as commencement address / Andrew Kopec -- The divine sublime : educating spiritual teachers in "The Divinity School address" / Corinne E. Blackmer -- Experimenting with "Circles" / Nels Anchor Christensen -- Beyond "mendicant and sycophantic" reading : teaching the seminar studies in American self-reliance / Wesley T. Mott -- The ideals of "Friendship" / Jennifer Gurley -- In praise of affirmation : on Emerson's "Experience" / Branka Arsić -- Teaching Emerson in the nineteenth-century poetry course / Christoph Irmscher -- Teaching Emerson's antislavery writings / Len Gougeon -- Teaching the practical Emerson through the sermons and the early lectures / Carolyn R. Maibor -- Emerson, gender, and the journals / Jean Ferguson Carr -- A natural history of intellect? Emerson's scientific methods in the later lectures / Meredith Farmer -- "These flames and generosities of the heart" : Emerson in the poetry workshop / Dan Beachy-Quick -- Between the disciplines and beyond the institution : Emerson's environmental relevance / T. S. McMillin -- Emerson in media studies and journalism / David O. Dowling -- Emerson and the digital humanities / Amy Earhart -- Emerson around the world : Emerson's transatlantic networks / Leslie Elizabeth Eckel -- Teaching the Latin American Emerson / Anne Fountain -- Emerson and Nietzsche / Herwig Friedl -- Emerson in the east : perennial philosophy as humanistic inquiry / John Michael Corrigan.
- "Offers pedagogical techniques for teaching the works of transcendentalist Ralph Waldo Emerson, including Nature, "Self-Reliance, " "Friendship, " "Experience, " "The Divinity School Address, " "The American Scholar, " and other essays, speeches, and poems. Gives syllabus suggestions for undergraduate and graduate courses in literature, creative writing, religion, media, environmental studies, and digital humanities"--
- 9781603293730 hardcover alkaline paper
1603293736 hardcover alkaline paper
9781603293747 paperback alkaline paper
1603293744 paperback alkaline paper
- Bibliography Note:
- Includes bibliographical references and index.
- Source of Acquisition:
- Purchased with funds from the George and Barbara Kelly English Endowment for Library Support; 2018.
View MARC record | catkey: 25058296