18th-century fashion in detail / Susan North ; photographs by Henrietta Clare and Richard Davis ; drawings by Leonie Davis and Deborah Mallinson
- North, Susan, 1956-
- Additional Titles:
- Eighteenth-century fashion in detail
- London ; New York : Thames & Hudson : Victoria & Albert Museum (V&A), 2018.
- Copyright Date:
- Revised and expanded edition.
- Physical Description:
- 224 pages : illustrations (chiefly color) ; 29 cm
- Additional Creators:
- Clare, Henrietta
Victoria and Albert Museum
- 1. Pleats, Gathers and Looped Drapery -- 2. Collars, Cuffs and Pockets -- 3. Stitching and Quilting -- 4. Lace and Whitework -- 5. Embroidery -- 6. Pastes, Foils and Beads -- 7. Chintz and Painting -- 8. Pinking and Punching -- 9. Fringes, Ribbons, Tassels and Buttons -- 10. Fur, Feathers and Straw.
- This book reveals the decorative seams, refined stitching, voluptuous drapery, strict corseting, slashing, and stamping that make up some of the garments in the Victoria and Albert Museum's superlative fashion collection. With an authoritative text, exquisite color photography of garment details, and line drawings showing the complete construction of each piece, the reader has the unique opportunity to examine up close historical clothing that is often too fragile to be on display. It is an inspirational resource for students, collectors, designers, and anyone who is fascinated by fashion and clothing.This new edition features an updated design, improved navigation, a comprehensive index, and an introduction that sets the examples in full historical context.
- 9780500292631 (paperback)
- "First published in the United Kingdom in 1998 by Victoria and Albert Museum, London"--Title page verso.
- Bibliography Note:
- Includes bibliographical references (pages 220-222) and index.
View MARC record | catkey: 25069999