The violence of liberation : gender and Tibetan Buddhist revival in post-Mao China / Charlene E. Makley
- Makley, Charlene E., 1964-
- Berkeley, Calif. ; London : University of California Press, 2007.
- Physical Description:
- 1 online resource (xvii, 374 pages) : illustrations, maps
- Introduction: Bodies of power -- Fatherlands : mapping masculinities -- Father state : socialist transformation and gendered historiography -- Mother home : circumambulation, femininities, and the ambiguous mobility of women -- Consuming women : consumption, sexual politics, and the dangers of mixing -- Monks are men too : domesticating monastic subjects -- Epilogue: Quandaries of agency.
- This wide ranging study provides an account of the highly contested process through which the Tibetan Buddhist region of Labrang become incorporated into the People's Republic of China.
- 9780520940536 (ebook)
- Bibliography Note:
- Includes bibliographical references and index.
- Source of Acquisition:
- Purchased with funds from the Edward J. and Eleanor Black Nichols Library Endowment Fund; 2018
View MARC record | catkey: 25070994