Emergent identities : new sexualities, genders and relationships in a digital era / Rob Cover
- Cover, Rob
- Abingdon, Oxon ; New York, NY : Routledge, 2019.
- Physical Description:
- ix, 163 pages ; 24 cm.
- Gender and sexualities in psychology
- Introduction: new post-binary sexualities and genders for a digital era -- New identity labels: towards a new sexual and gender taxonomy -- Expanding the range: grids, matrices and the role of gender and relationships -- Identity citizenship: authenticity, intersectionality and a new populism -- Queer choice: sexuality and the emerging discourses of choosing and changing -- New heterosexualities: digital media and an adaptable heteromasculinity -- Implications: what do emergent identities do?
- "Examining the emergence of new sexual and gender identities in the context of an ever-changing digital landscape, Emergent Identities considers how traditional, binary understandings of sexuality and gender are being challenged and overridden by a taxonomy of non-binary, fluid classifications and descriptors. In this comprehensive account of the ongoing shift in our understandings of gender and sexuality, Cover explores how and why traditional masculine/feminine and hetero/homo dichotomies are quickly being replaced with identity labels such as heteroflexible, bigender, non-binary, asexual, sapiosexual, demisexual, ciswoman, and transcurious. Drawing on real world data, Cover considers how new ways of perceiving relationships, attraction and desire are contesting authorised, institutional knowledge on gender and sexuality. The book explores the role that digital communication practices have played in these developments, and considers the implications of these new approaches for identity, individuality, creativity, media, healthcare and social belonging. A timely response to recent developments in the field of gender identity, this will be a fascinating read for students of Psychology, Gender Studies, Media and Cultural Studies, and related areas as well as professionals in this field"--
- 9781138098589 hardback, 1138098582 hardback, 9781138098619 paperback, and 1138098612 paperback
- Bibliography Note:
- Includes bibliographical references and index.
View MARC record | catkey: 25339979