Overcoming opioid addiction : the authoritative medical guide for patients, families, doctors, and therapists / Adam Bisaga, MD, with Karen Chernyaev ; foreword by A. Thomas McLellan, PhD
- Foreword / by A. Thomas McLellan, PhD -- Introduction -- An epidemic like never before. Medical panacea or national nightmare? -- Opioid use in America: how we got here -- Opioid use disorder: a disease like any other? -- The science, practice, and challenge of treating OUD. Embracing the new medical approach to treating OUD -- The pharmacology of opioids -- Starting a patient on medication -- When treating OUD becomes a challenge -- A brief guide for families. How to encourage your loved one to get help-and how to help yourself -- Finding the right treatment -- How to support your loved one in treatment and recovery -- For patients: what to expect in treatment and beyond. Getting ready to stop using opioids -- The first days and weeks after you stop using -- The next months and years once you are drug free -- Epilogue: Overdoses as missed opportunities.
- Every day, over 100 Americans die from opioid abuse. Bisaga and Chernyaev provide a comprehensive medical guide for opioid use disorder (OUD) sufferers, their loved ones, clinicians, and other professionals. He explains why treating OUD is unlike treating other forms of drug dependency, examines the science of the addiction, and discusses the different stages and effective methods of treatment, as well as behavioral therapies.
- Opioid abuse—Treatment—United States
- Drug abuse—Treatment—United States
- HEALTH & FITNESS—Diseases—Nervous System (incl. Brain)
- SELF-HELP—Substance Abuse & Addictions—Drugs
- Drug abuse—Treatment
- Opioid abuse—Treatment
- Opioid-Related Disorders—prevention & control
- Analgesics, Opioid—adverse effects
- United States
- 9781615194582 (paperback)
- Bibliography Note:
- Includes bibliographical references (pages 269-275) and index.
View MARC record | catkey: 25363860