Bessie [electronic resource] : a portrait of Bessie Schönberg / Pennebaker Hegedus Films, Inc. presents ; a film by Chris Hegedus and D.A. Pennebaker ; produced by Katherine O'Neil Bidwell [and others].
- New York, NY : Pennebaker Hegedus Films, 
- Copyright Date:
- Physical Description:
- 1 online resource (58 min.)
- Additional Creators:
- Bidwell, Katherine O'Neil
Brown, Ronald K., 1966-
Pennebaker, D. A.
Porter, Claire, 1942-
Pennebaker Hegedus Films
- Documentary on Bessie Schönberg (1906-1997), a renowned and beloved teacher and mentor of choreography. Tributes by Merce Cunningham, Jerome Robbins, Allan Gurganus, Patricia Bosworth and Meredith Monk, presented at a birthday celebration at the Dance Collection of The New York Public Library for the Performing Arts in 1995, are interspersed with Schönberg's own reminiscences of her life and work, including her friendship with Martha Hill and her performing career with Martha Graham, which was cut short by a knee injury. Schönberg is also seen working with young choreographers at The Juilliard School, Dance Theater Workshop, and Jacob's Pillow, and observing and commenting upon works by Victoria Marks, Ronald Brown, Claire Porter and Meredith Monk. Dance excerpts include Marks's Back, Brown's Dirt road, Graham's Heretic, Porter's If my words wore boots, and Monk's American archeology.
- Bosworth, Patricia
- Brown, Ronald K., 1966-
- Cunningham, Merce
- Graham, Martha
- Gurganus, Allan, 1947-
- Hill, Martha
- Marks, Victoria
- Monk, Meredith
- Robbins, Jerome
- Schönberg, Bessie
- Dance Theater Workshop
- Jacob's Pillow School of the Dance
- Juilliard School. Dance Division
- American archeology (Choreographic work : Monk)
- Dirt road (Choreographic work : Brown)
- Choreographers—United States—Biography
- Choreography—Study and teaching
- Dance teachers—United States—Biography
- Dancers—United States—Biography
- Previously released on DVD.
View MARC record | catkey: 25368357