The heart and science of teaching : transformative applications that integrate academic and social-emotional learning / C. Bobbi Hansen
- Hansen, C. Bobbi
- New York, NY : Teachers College Press, 
- Physical Description:
- ix, 149 pages : illustrations ; 23 cm
- The heart of teaching -- Social-emotional learning (SEL) -- How much do you know about social-emotional learning? -- The what : its time has come for social-emotional learning -- The why: just how important is the teacher? -- The how: Connecting SEL to standards based curriculum -- The where: resources for social-emotional learning -- Cooperative/collaborative learning -- The what: tenants of cooperative learning -- The why: benefits of cooperative/collaborative learning -- The how: cooperative learning supports social-emotional growth -- The where: resources for cooperative/collaborative learning -- Teachers as changemakers -- The what: how service builds social and emotional skills -- The why: evidence-based outcomes -- The how: instituting a culture of service -- The where: resources for changemaking and service learning -- Creating emotionally-safe classrooms -- The what: restorative justice -- The why: brain research support for restorative practices -- The how: building student relationships through restorative practices -- The where: resources for creating restorative practices -- The science of teaching -- Brain science 101: what teachers need to know -- The what: what the brain can tell us -- The why: the expanding role of cognitive science in classroom practice -- The how: brainy teaching -- The where: resources for brainy teaching -- Evidence-based instruction -- The what: evidence-based teaching strategies -- The why: where's the evidence? -- The how: teaching smarter -- The where: resources for evidence-based teaching strategies -- Tools for the 21st century -- Project-based learning -- The what: project-based learning for the 21st century -- The why: the power of project-based learning -- The how: classroom integration of project-based learning -- The where: resources for project-based learning -- The digital revolution in education -- The what: blended learning pedagogies -- The why: what is the evidence for digital learning? -- The how: employing digital tools in the classroom -- The where: resources for digital learning.
- "This is the text that preservice teachers will take into practice and practicing teachers will turn to again and again to improve classroom culture and learning, with clear guidelines for essential SEL and academic linkages, a wealth of selective extensive teaching resources in multiple media and feedback from real teachers who have adopted this work in their classrooms"--
- 9780807759516 paperback
- Bibliography Note:
- Includes bibliographical references and index.
View MARC record | catkey: 25377947