Saving Mona Lisa : the battle to protect the Louvre and its treasures from the Nazis / Gerri Chanel
- Chanel, Gerri
- London : Icon Books Ltd, 2018.
- Copyright Date:
- Physical Description:
- xix, 377 pages : illustrations, map ; 24 cm
- Part I: From war to war - Fall 1187 to Summer 1938 -- Protecting Paris, protecting art -- World War I -- Drums of another war -- Part II: Into exile - Fall 1938 to Spring 1940 -- Final Preparations -- How to move a masterpiece -- Chambord -- Cheverny -- Courtalain -- Valencay -- Part III: Exodus, art And occupiers - Spring 1940 to Fall 1942 -- Exodus -- Debacle -- Occupiers with an eye for art -- Loc-Dieu Abbey -- Valencay at war -- Paris -- Montauban, 1941 -- Chateau de Sourches -- Montauban, 1942 -- Part IV: New borders, New battles - November 1942 to December 1943 -- Insincere intentions -- Chateau de Montal -- A Chateau Life -- Resistance -- Thieves and spies -- From heaven and earth -- Friends and enemies -- Part V: Dange, hope and freedom - January 1944 to August 1944 -- Cat and mouse -- Rough road toward freedom -- Insurrection -- Retreat and retribution -- Liberation -- Part VI: Homecoming - August 1944 to October 1947 -- Last echoes of war -- Coming home.
- In 1939, curators at the Louvre nestled the world's most famous painting into a special red velvet-lined case and spirited her away to the Loire Valley. As the Germans neared Paris in 1940, the French raced to move the masterpieces again and again during the war. Throughout the German occupation, the Louvre's staff fought to keep the priceless treasures out of enemy hands, often risking their lives to protect the country's artistic heritage. This is their tale.
- Musée du Louvre—History—20th century
- Musée du Louvre—Histoire—20e siècle
- Musée du Louvre
- German Occupation of France (1940-1945)
- World War (1939-1945)
- World War, 1939-1945—Art and the war
- Cultural property—Protection—France—History—20th century
- Trésors artistiques durant la guerre—France—Histoire—20e siècle
- Guerre mondiale, 1939-1945—Art et guerre
- Biens culturels—Protection—France—Histoire—20e siècle
- Art treasures in war
- Cultural property—Protection
- Art treasures in war—France—History—20th century
- France—History—German occupation, 1940-1945
- France—Histoire—1940-1945 (Occupation allemande)
- Includes index.
Originally published: New York: Heliopa Press, 2014.
- Bibliography Note:
- Includes bibliographical references (pages -370).
View MARC record | catkey: 25377957