Early Christian ritual life / edited by Richard E. DeMaris, Jason T. Lamoreaux, and Steven C. Muir
- Abingdon, Oxon ; New York, NY : Routledge, 2018.
- Copyright Date:
- Physical Description:
- xv, 218 pages ; 23 cm
- Additional Creators:
- DeMaris, Richard E.
- Part I. interacting with the divine -- Honoring the divine / Jonathan Schwiebert -- Accessing divine power and status / Steven C. Muir -- Accessing divine knowledge / Ritva H. Williams -- Part II. group interactions -- Boundary-crossing in christian baptism / Agnes Choi -- Rituals for communal maintenance / Erin K. Vearncombe -- Early christian funerary ritual / Nicola Hayward -- Part iii. contesting and creating ritual protocols -- Ritual negotiation / Jason T. Lamoreaux -- Ritual transgression / Richard E. DeMaris -- Ritual modification and innovation / Richard S. Ascough -- Conclusion : steps forward in the study of early christian ritual life / Hal Taussig.
- Scholars across many fields have come to realize that ritual is an integral element of human life and a vital aspect of all human societies. Yet, this realization has been slow to develop among scholars of early Christianity. Early Christian Ritual Life attempts to counteract the undervaluing of ritual by placing it at the forefront of early Christian life. Rather than treating ritual in isolation or in a fragmentary way, this book examines early Christian ritual life as a whole. The authors explore an array of Christian ritual activity, employing theory critically and explicitly to make sense of various ritual behaviors and their interconnections.
- 9781138653061 (paperback)
- Bibliography Note:
- Includes bibliographical references and indexes.
View MARC record | catkey: 25387862