Max Beckmann : the world as a stage / edited by the Kunsthalle Bremen--Der Kunstverein in Bremen and the Museum Barberini, Postdam ; Exhibition Eva Fischer-Hausdorf and Ortrud Westheider ; with contributions by Verena Borgmann, Eva Fischer-Hausdorf, Miriam Häßler, Sebastian Karnatz, Eefke Kleimann, Irene Pieper, Lynette Roth, Ortrud Westheider, Christiane Zeiller
- Beckmann, Max, 1884-1950
- Uniform Title:
- Paintings. Selections (2017)
- Additional Titles:
- World as a stage
- Munich ; London ; New York : Prestel, 
- Copyright Date:
- Physical Description:
- 223 pages : illustrations, portraits ; 31 cm
- Additional Creators:
- Fischer-Hausdorf, Eva
Museum Barberini (Potsdam, Germany)
- The artist as manager, producer, and scene-shifter : the Theater of the World in Max Beckmann / Eva Fischer-Hausdorf -- Max Beckmann's pictorial dramaturgy : painting as display / Ortrud Westheider -- Between worldview and the experience of catastrophe : on the Theater of the World in literature / Irene Pieper -- Parody, experiment, and self-affirmation : the plays of Max Beckmann / Sebastian Karnatz -- Clowns, animals, and artistes : Max Beckmann's passion for the circus, as reflected in his sketchbooks / Christiane Zeiller -- Simultaneous staging : Max Beckmann's triptychs as stage sets / Lynette Roth -- Masquerade : role-playing in pictorial space / Miriam Häßler -- Chronicle : Beckmann as observer / Miriam Häßler -- Theater : the complex world on the stage / Eefke Kleimann -- Variety show : scenes in the Theater of Infinity / Eefke Kleimann -- Circus : life as a high-wire act / Verena Borgmann -- Audience : the role of the spectator / Verena Borgmann -- Argonauts : the artist's self-image / Miriam Häßler -- Theater, variety, circus : Biographical documentation / Eefke Kleimann -- Max Beckmann : biographical timeline / Eefke Kleimann.
- 9783791356976 (English trade edition)
9783791368344 (English museum edition, Kunsthalle Bremen)
3791368346 (English museum edition, Kunsthalle Bremen)
9783791367897 (English museum edition, Museum Barberini, Potsdam)
3791367897 (English museum edition, Museum Barberini, Potsdam)
9783791356969 (German trade edition)
3791356968 (German trade edition)
9783791368337 (German museum edition, Kunsthalle Bremen)
3791368338 (German museum edition, Kunsthalle Bremen)
9783791367880 (English museum edition, Museum Barberini, Potsdam)
3791367889 (English museum edition, Museum Barberini, Potsdam)
- "This catalog is published in conjunction with the exhibition, Max Beckmann : the world as a stage, September 30, 2017 to February 4, 2018, Kunsthalle Bremen; February 24 to June 2018, Museum Barberini, Potsdam"--Page 224.
"Many paintings by Max Beckmann (1884-1950) depict the world of the theater, circus, and variety shows. Driven by an urge toward showmanship and display, the painter turned the pictorial frame into his stage. This publication is the first to pursue the question of how Beckmann's art fits in with the concept of world theater in the history of ideas. It opens up a new way of looking at the work of this exceptional artist of the twentieth century"--Back jacket cover.
- Bibliography Note:
- Includes bibliographical references.
View MARC record | catkey: 25391027