New Guinea Highlands : art from the Jolika Collection / with contributions by Bruce Beehler [and fifteen others] ; edited by John Friede, Terence E. Hays, and Christina Hellmich ; collection photographs by John Bigelow Taylor and Dianne Dubler
- San Francisco : Fine Arts Museums of San Francisco ; Munich ; New York : DelMonico Books, Prestel, 
- Physical Description:
- xvii, 665 pages : color illustrations ; 32 cm
- Additional Creators:
- Beehler, Bruce McP
Hays, Terence E.
Fine Arts Museums of San Francisco
- Essays: Introduction / Terence E. Hays -- Early art in New Guinea: glimpses from prehistory / Pamela Swadling -- The antiquity of agriculture / Tim Denham -- / Loops of connection: the Bilum and the aesthetics of well-being / Mouli MacKenzie -- / Birds in art and adornment / Bruce Beehler and William H. Thomas -- Body, display, and the cosmos in highlands Papua New Guinea / Andrew Strathern and Pamela J. Stewart -- Shields of the Highlands of New Guinea / Chris Boylan -- Kaipel Ka, shield painter / Mark Eby -- Encounters in the Highlands of New Guinea / Terence E. Hays -- Picturing encounters: twentieth century photographs in the Highlands / Virginia-Lee Webb -- Catalogue of objects: plates and regional essays on material culture: Anga material culture, or the art of technology / Pierre Lemonnier -- Eastern Highlands / Chris Boylan -- Simbu (Chimbu) / Chris Boylan -- Western Highlands and Jiwaka / Chris Boylan -- Enga / Chris Boylan -- Southern Highlands and Hela / Paul and Jackie Sillitoe -- Mountain Ok / Barry Craig -- Highlands of West New Guinea / Anton Ploeg -- Appendix: Cultural areas and languages of the New Guinea Highlands / Terence E. Hays.
- "This is the first major museum publication dedicated to New Guinea Highlands art, celebrating its dynamism, innovative forms, and extraordinary use of materials and recognizing generations of Highlands artists. The Jolika Collection represents decades of focused connoisseurship. The Friedes, members of the Fine Arts Museums staff, scholars of Highlands visual culture, and anthropologists from around the globe have contributed their expertise to this book, researching and recording the collection's works so that they can be shared with the public"--
- 9783791350554 (hardcover)
- Bibliography Note:
- Includes bibliographical references and index.
View MARC record | catkey: 25391076