- General engineering and K-12 engineering education collection
- Cover; The Application of Mathematics in the Engineering Disciplines; CONTENTS; LIST OF FIGURES; LIST OF TABLES; ACKNOWLEDGMENTS; CHAPTER 1: MODELING SYSTEMS IN ENGINEERING; CHAPTER 2: DIFFERENTIAL EQUATIONS IN ENGINEERING; CHAPTER 3: DESCRIBING SYSTEMS USING MATHEMATICS; CHAPTER 4: ANALYZING FAILURE IN SYSTEMS; ABOUT THE AUTHORS; INDEX; Ad Page; Back Cover.
- This text serves two purposes. First, it is the companion text to Introductory Engineering Mathematics within the General Engineering and K-12 Engineering Education book series. Introductory Engineering Mathematics introduces some of the math concepts we see often in engineering, including useful trigonometry, calculus, and functions. This text assumes a level of understanding of mathematics at the level of a high school senior, plus a bit from the introductory text. The second purpose of this text is to introduce additional useful mathematical concepts that we see in engineering problem solving: specifically, matrices and differential equations. The concepts are introduced by examples rather than strict mathematical derivation. Accordingly, the text probably wouldn't be an effective substitute for a course in differential equations, but it does intend to illustrate how differential equations can be used and applied. Consider this text to be a companion to such a course, or an introduction for someone interested in exploring "why might differential equations be useful?" We use examples drawn from engineering practice to illustrate the use of mathematics in engineering, such as engineering failures both old and new. We hope you see a broad coverage of mathematical concepts and develop an appreciation for how they apply to engineering. Perhaps this can give a new lens through which to view engineering successes (and failures).
- 9781606509081 (electronic bk.)
160650908X (electronic bk.)
- Bibliography Note:
- Includes bibliographical references and index.
- Source of Acquisition:
- Purchased with funds from the Florence E. Bridgewater Collections Endowment for the Engineering Library ; 2018
View MARC record | catkey: 25550153