Coral reefs : tourism, conservation and management / edited by Bruce Prideaux and Anja Pabel
- Abingdon, Oxon ; New York, NY : Routledge, 2018.
- Copyright Date:
- Physical Description:
- xxiii, 288 pages : illustrations, maps ; 24 cm.
- Additional Creators:
- Prideaux, B. (Bruce) and Pabel, Anja
- Coral reef systems as a tourism resource / Anja Pabel and Bruce Prideaux -- Coral reefs: impacts and sustainability in the South Pacific islands / Semisi Taumoepeau and Anja Pabel -- Coral based tourism in Egypt's Red Sea / Nathalie Hilmi, Alain Safa, Stéphanie Reynaud and Denis Allemand -- Australia's Great Barrier Reef: protection, threats, value and tourism use / Bruce Prideaux and Anja Pabel -- Strategic Caribbean coral reef tourism management / Dennis J. Gayle and Bernadette E. Warner -- The potential for coral bleaching to affect long-term destination sustainability / Bruce Prideaux, Anja Pabel, Michelle Thompson and Leonie Cassidy -- Belize Barrier Reef system: a threatened biodiversity hotspot / Leandra Cho-Ricketts -- Coral reefs of the Florida Keys: the threats of a changing sea / Roberta Atzori and Alan Fyall -- Whale shark tourism at Ningaloo Reef: successes, challenges and what's next? / Sarah Duffy, Roger Layton and Larry Dwyer -- Ecotourism and coral reef restoration: case studies from Thailand and the Maldives / Margaux Y. Hein, Fanny Couture and Chad M. Scott -- Tourism and fishing in paradise: a case study of the Maldives / Kelsey Miller -- A narrative approach to understanding recreational dive tourists' experiences on coral reefs / Anja Pabel -- Tourist satisfaction and expenditures in a reef-adjoining dolphin watching industry in Lovina, Bali Indonesia / Putu L Mustika, Riccardo Welters and Naneng Setiasih -- Tourism development and impacts on reef conservation in Brazil / Fernanda de Vasconcellos Pegas, Guy Castley and Ambrozio Queiroz Neto -- Impacts of vessel-based day tours on coral reefs: Observations from snorkel tours in Maui, Hawai'i / Brooke A. Porter -- Indigenous coral reef tourism / Henrietta L. Marrie -- Media in coral reef tourism management: indications from online travel magazines / Anja Pabel and Glen Croy -- Findings and Research Issues: where to from here? / Bruce Prideaux and Anja Pabel.
- "Coral reefs are important destinations and resources for tourism and bring various benefits to local communities. However they are under increasing threat from climate change and its related impacts such as coral bleaching and ocean acidification, as well as from human activities. This book adopts a multidisciplinary approach to review these issues as they relate to the sustainable management of coral reefs, with case studies of all of the main coral reef systems of the world"--
- 9781138689831 hardcover
- Bibliography Note:
- Includes bibliographical references and index.
View MARC record | catkey: 25792504