Yes to Europe! : the 1975 referendum and seventies Britain / Robert Saunders
- Saunders, Robert, 1978-
- Cambridge ; New York, NY : Cambridge University Press, 2018.
- Physical Description:
- xiii, 509 pages : illustrations ; 24 cm
- Introduction: 'a fanfare for Europe' -- Part One. Europe or bust? -- Opportunity and illusion: the road to 1975 -- 'A device of dictators and demagogues': renegotiation to Referendum -- 'Support your local continent!' Britain in Europe -- 'Better out than in': the National Referendum Campaign -- Part Two. Themes and issues -- 'The boardroom must lead!' Employers, unions and the economy -- 'Women and children first!' -- 'Come to pray on Referendum day' -- 'No use talking about sovereignty' -- 'The new British Empire' -- 'Think of it as the common super-market' -- Part Three. The unravelling of Britain? -- 'Ulster says yes!' -- Cymru yn Iwrop/ Wales in Europe -- 'The Scottish time-bomb' -- Epilogue: 'We are all Europeans now'.
- "For too long we have walked in the shadows. It is time for us now to walk out into the light to find a new place, a new Britain in this new world. ... Let history record that when we were shown the way we took the way and walked out to meet our destiny. Edward Heath, 16 October 19711"--
- 9781108425353 hardback
- Bibliography Note:
- Includes bibliographical references and index.
View MARC record | catkey: 25794680