The nigger of the Narcissus : a tale of the sea / Joseph Conrad ; edited by Allan H. Simmons
- The Cambridge edition of the works of Joseph Conrad
- List of illustrations -- General editors' preface -- Acknowledgements -- Chronology -- Abbreviations and note on editions -- Introduction. Origins -- Sources -- Reception -- The nigger of the Narcissus. Preface to The Nigger of the 'Narcissus' -- To my readers in America -- The texts : an essay. The growth of the novella -- Preprint documents -- Serialization -- Copy-text and emendation -- The prefaces -- The Cambridge texts -- Apparatus. Emendation and variation -- Emendations of accidentals -- End-of-line word-division -- Textual notes -- Appendices. A. Conrad's comments on his sources for The Nigger of the 'Narcissus' -- B. Sources : the officers and crew of the fictional Narcissus -- C. The proposed 1916 collected edition text of the novel -- Explanatory notes -- Glossary of nautical terms -- Maps.
- Charting a homeward-bound voyage from Bombay to London aboard a sailing ship, 'The Nigger of the 'Narcissus'' (1897) captured the late-Victorian era's maritime obsession and identified the strikingly original talent of Joseph Conrad (1857-1924) as a sea writer in what has proved to be a landmark of sea literature. The Introduction situates the novel in Conrad's career and traces its origins and reception. Explanatory notes illuminate literary and historical references, identify real-life places and indicate Conrad's sources and influences. The essay on the text and the apparatus lay out the history of the work's composition and publication, and detail interventions by Conrad's typists, compositors and editors. Also included are notes explaining literary and historical references, a glossary of nautical terms, illustrations, including maps and pictures of early drafts, and appendixes. This edition of 'The Nigger of the 'Narcissus'' presents the novel and its preface in forms more authoritative than any so far printed, and restores a text that has circulated in defective forms since its original publication.
- 9781107141407 hardcover
- Bibliography Note:
- Includes bibliographical references.
- Source of Acquisition:
- Purchased with funds from the Tiley Family Memorial Libraries Endowment in memory of Raymond A. and Betty Jane Lindenmuth Tiley ; 2018
View MARC record | catkey: 25798777