The history and achievements of the Islamic Golden Age / Eamonn Gearon
- Great courses. History. Civilization & culture
- Disc 1. From camels to stars in the Middle East -- Ibn Battuta's search for knowledge -- Disc 2. Arabian nights caliph: Harun al-Rashid -- The Arab world's greatest writer: al-Jahiz -- Disc 3. Algebra, algorithms, and al-Khwarizmi -- Baghdad's House of Wisdom -- Disc 4. Muhammad, the Hadith, and Imam Bukhari -- Interpreting and defending the Quran -- Disc 5. The Arab Herodotus: al-Masudi -- Cairo, al-Haytham, and the Book of optics -- Disc 6. Master Muslim scholar: al-Biruni -- Astronomy in the Islamic Golden Age -- Disc 7: Medieval Muslim medicine and hospitals -- Alchemistry and chemistry in early Baghdad -- Disc 8. The Fertile Crescent, water, and al-Jazari -- Jewish scholar in Cairo: Moses Maimonides -- Disc 9. The Banu Musa's inventions and automatons -- Mosques, architecture, and Gothic revival -- Disc 10: Arabic verse, love poetry, and wine songs -- Medieval mastermind: Avicenna (Ibn Sina) -- Disc 11. Entertaining in the time of the Abbasids -- Calligraphy, carpets, and the Arabic arts -- Disc 12. When did the Islamic Golden Age end? -- Ibn Khaldun on the rise and fall of Empire.
- Meet the people and explore the achievements of the Islamic Goldgen Age, a powerful 500-year history of science, culture, philosophy, and more.
- 9781629973746, 1629973742, 9781501960178, and 1501960172
- Title from container., "Course no. 3863.", In two containers (19 cm)., 24 lectures (30 min. each)., and Compact discs.
- Bibliography Note:
- Guidebook Includes bibliographical references (pages 202-217).
- Participant/Performer Note:
- Lecturer: Professorial Lecturer Eamonn Gearon, Johns Hopkins University.
View MARC record | catkey: 25799340